Chapter 8 - 10 years in Exile

A/N: 7.344 words, happy reading

First year. The first year in exile was not good. Actually not that interesting to tell, except for this one big thing. Well, after finding the dragon's nest, Hiccup with a burning hatred, came to the nest and challenged the dragon queen along with Toothless. The human-dragon duo is deemed insane by the other dragon slaves. It's almost impossible to defeat a dragon queen the size of a mountain who can spit out fire so much. Red Death, as Hiccup calls it, is a giant dragon-class stoker. This dragon has six eyes and a heavy body. This mountain-sized dragon can control other dragons and has lived for the past 300 years. It is this creature that is the truth that the Vikings have not been able to find.

Hiccup and Toothless have challenged the queen, aided by several dragons that have escaped the Red Death's control. The enraged dragon queen then destroyed an entire rock wall on the mountain, causing a huge gap. After a hard battle with the Red Death, Hiccup and Toothless manage to defeat the mountain-sized dragon. To everyone else, they must have thought that the Red Death simply had no weaknesses. Large and strong in body, no one knew a single thing about the Red Death's weakness. Well, just like other dragons, Red Death's inside body is not fire resistant. This determines the victory of Hiccup and Toothless over the Red Death.

With the end of the History of the Red Death, Hiccup believes that there will be no more dragon attacks on the archipelago. Hiccup still can't believe that he has defeated the Red Death and ended the raid. If the other viking tribes will lose their warriors or ships, but Hiccup lost his leg. His left leg was burned while dodging the Red Death's falling blast, leaving only his stubble left. This is a pretty expensive price for Hiccup's haste in attacking the Red Death. On the other hand, Hiccup's dragon partner, Toothless, is also missing his left tail fin, which prevents him from flying normally.

Surviving at the Helheim Gate which he now calls Dragon Island, Hiccup must recover himself to find an island or land that is better for him to live on. Surprisingly, the dragons who were once the slaves of the Red Death, stay close to Hiccup and Toothless as if they are now their leaders.

A few weeks into recovery, Hiccup crafts Toothless prosthetic limbs and tail the best of the mild steel the kind Gronckle made. Then again, Hiccup gets a knowledge where Gronckle eats stone which is then processed into light but very strong iron. Gronckle iron can be made for anything, such as weapons, armor and other tools. After weeks of adjusting his prosthetic legs, Hiccup begins testing Toothless's prosthetic tail. Still using its basic materials, Toothless's tail is still easily damaged so it has to be made with lots of backups.

Finally getting used to flying, Toothless and Hiccup start packing to find a better place to live. Dragon Island is indeed large enough to live in, but with no natural produce and fertile soil, Hiccup isn't at all sure that he and Toothless can live here. As they were about to leave, the dragons insisted on coming with them. With a communication language called Dragonese, Toothless orders the dragons not to come with them, because they will fly to a foreign land. No one knows what will be in other lands, because they may hate dragons there. So with that, the dragons stay on dragon island or explore, as much as possible avoiding the tribes in the archipelago.

Hiccup and Toothless have been flying for hours in search of a suitable island or land, until a heavy storm gets them lost. The storm lasts long enough to overwhelm Toothless and Hiccup. When the storm has passed, Hiccup realizes that they are now in a vast land that is very foreign. He thought that they had lost their way and were now very far from the Archipelago.

The climate here is quite cold, but the soil is much more fertile than the islands in the archipelago. From the climate, Hiccup can confirm that he and Toothless are in the southwest of the Archipelago. After exploring this strange land for a while, Hiccup and Toothless come across a bustling settlement. Their clothing was different, they did not speak Norse, their bodies were well-built and not too bulky, the opposite of Viking standards. Hiccup could hear that they were speaking English. He is in mainland England, land of the Anglo-Saxons.