Chapter 3 - The Night Fury

Hiccup couldn't believe what he saw in front of him. Night Fury. It wasn't as big as Monstrous Nightmare and not as tall as Deadly Nadder, but it was still very intimidating. Many people are competing to find and deal with the Night Fury, but the dragon appears by itself in front of Hiccup.

"For Thor's sake, what shall I do!" shouted Hiccup in his heart. He was very panicked.

Hiccup wanted to run away, but his body just froze in place. The Night Fury stared at him with its large, thin green eyes, baring its sharp teeth. Slowly, he approached Hiccup. Hiccup gasped in fear. Hiccup is surprised to see the dragon's eyes start to grow bigger, which means it's tame. However, the Night Fury suddenly jumped back and growled. Hiccup thought the dragon had noticed a dagger under his bear fur cloak. Slowly, he began to take out the dagger, the Night Fury was still growling. Hiccup dropped his dagger to the ground. The Night Fury was still growling, turning his head towards the lake as if telling Hiccup to throw his dagger into the water.

Hiccup pauses, thinking that if he threw away the dagger he would be completely unarmed. Is this some kind of suicide?

Hiccup finally lifted his leg slowly to take the dagger. Night Fury's eyes are still focused on Hiccup and his dagger. Hiccup throws the dagger into the water, making Night Fury's eyes grow tame again. The dragon slowly approached Hiccup making him afraid again.

"I'm going to die," said Hiccup to himself. He was too frightened to speak. "Is this my way of getting out of Midgard?!"

Hiccup closed his eyes, waiting for the dragon's brutal attack. However, after waiting for a few seconds, he didn't receive any damage. Hiccup felt the rough scales hit his body. He slowly opened his eyes and was surprised that the dragon was purring while gently nudging Hiccup's body, as if he were an oversized black cat.

Hiccup is speechless. How could a dragon, a deadly animal that can kill you in the blink of an eye, be so docile in front of it. The dragon's eyes were enlarged docilely and its movements relaxed and gentle. Are dragons really beasts that don't have a gentle heart?

Out of his muddled thoughts, Hiccup reaches out to hold the Night Fury's head. However, the dragon backed away again and let out a wary growl. Hiccup is confused. He finally turned his head back while raising his hand, waiting for his palm to be touched by the dragon's head. Foolish indeed, he stretched out his hand without looking at the dragon. However, maybe that's how he gains the trust of the Night Fury. If he ended up eating his arm, he could at least be like Gobber.

Slowly but surely, Night Fury pressed his head into Hiccup's palm. Hiccup was surprised and immediately looked forward. He tamed it! No. He earned the trust of the Night Fury.

The Night Fury pulled away from Hiccup again. He ran to the lake and took fish. The dragon threw a fish at Hiccup, and it opened its mouth excitedly.

"You want me to feed you this?" asked Hiccup doubtfully as he took the fish the dragon gave him. The Night Fury nodded with a gummy smile.

Hiccup slowly held out the fish in his hand while feeding the dragon. Night Fury slowly opened his mouth to eat the fish. Hiccup is surprised to see that the dragon has no teeth.

"Toothless?" said Hiccup confusedly. "I'm sure you had-"

The Night Fury quickly took out his sharp teeth and grabbed the fish in Hiccup's hand.

"Teeth."

Hiccup is amazed at what he has noticed. The Night Fury has teeth that can be removed and pulled out.

Hiccup sits on a tree branch watching 'Toothless' play. Well, so as not to be called 'That Night Fury', Hiccup calls him Toothless. What a tacky name. Hiccup isn't very good at making up names.

Hiccup sat there for a very long time, occasionally playing with Toothless, forgetting every problem. Until finally, he felt hungry. He noticed that the sun had reached its highest point, which meant it was noon. He wanted to return to the village for lunch. However, he didn't. Hiccup is afraid that he will be bullied again, remembering what happened earlier this morning. Hiccup finally decides to go fishing.

Hiccup was already very independent at his young age. Lacking his father's attention, he was forced to meet his every need alone. Hiccup can fish, cook, repair and build things. Most of his skills he learned from Gobber.

While waiting for the fish to be cooked, Hiccup threw some of the fish he caught to Toothless. Toothless grabbed the fish well. Toothless hummed happily. Hiccup is very happy and amazed to see it.

"I feel like we've known each other a long time bud."

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

It's already dusk. Hiccup is walking towards the village. He was actually reluctant to return to the village. However, because maybe his 'father' would later send a search party, he decided to go home. Toothless lives in the cove.

Hiccup walked slowly towards the village. There he was as usual greeted by disdainful glances from the villagers. He walked faster until he reached his house. His father wasn't in the house. Good.

Hiccup goes into his room to sleep. He ignored the low growl in his stomach. To be honest, he had been used to enduring hunger since childhood. He was often afraid to enter the Great Hall to eat, fearing that he would be bullied by the people of Berk. If he went in there now for dinner, he would probably be beaten and bullied by the residents, considering the events of the early hours of the morning.

Hiccup lay on his back with his hands behind his head. His emerald eyes stared at the ceiling of the house. His head kept going over today's events. How can a viking who, uh, not fit to be a viking, be able to return home after facing one on one with the legendary dragon, Night Fury.

Seeing Toothless behavior, Hiccup thinks that dragons are not what people think. In fact, dragons are intelligent animals that have a soft heart. Toothless is the proof. How can a dragon 'unholy offspring of lightning and death itself' be so docile in Hiccup's presence. There must be a reason why these 300 year raids are happening and Hiccup is about to find out.