Chapter 4 - New Heir

A golden blonde haired girl was seen practicing with her ax on the outskirts of the forest. Her name is Astrid Hofferson. Her eyes focused on a tree which she imagined was a Flightmare. A goddamn dragon who killed her uncle and brought disrepute to the name of the Hofferson clan.

As she viciously slashed every branch of the tree, her mind was struggling. She thought of the ridiculous and reckless actions of the heir of her tribe. Astrid couldn't stop thinking how Hiccup had stupidly thought that he could handle the Nightmare alone. The boy never followed orders and performed dangerous acts which caused a lot of damage.

She actually felt sorry for Hiccup. They are friends since they were little. However, Uncle Finn's death changes everything. Her father, Harold Hofferson, wanted Astrid to become the best warrior on Berk. It is a big demand to restore the Hofferson family name. Relentless training kept Astrid growing, making her the ultimate Berk teenager. She also has a reputation to maintain, which means Astrid can't hang out with Hiccup 'The Useless'.

Astrid was honestly very uncomfortable remembering their close childhood friendship. She remembered one day when she and Hiccup promised to always be together, no matter what the conditions were. Astrid at that moment innocently promised. However, with the current situation that is not very supportive, this promise must be broken. After all, at that time they were still children. The period when their lives have no demands and live freely.

Astrid had to put those memories behind her. She must. But, seeing her former best friend's eyes, Astrid could see a very deep sadness and disappointment. It haunted her mind. How could a girl who wanted to be a warrior and the pride of Berk, betray her childhood friend so badly?

Astrid threw her double-sided ax at a nearby tree. She was annoyed, he was frustrated. Astrid was confused. On the one hand, she wants to apologize to Hiccup and be friends again, but on the other hand, she has to forget Hiccup and maintain her reputation in order to restore her family's name.

While she was busy practicing, Astrid accidentally saw Hiccup coming out of the woods and heading for the village. She saw that Hiccup's clothes were a bit shabby but his face radiated a little happiness.

"What made him so happy?" thought Astrid. "I haven't seen him that happy since-"

Astrid's thoughts were interrupted by a 'slightly' loud whisper from the villagers. She can hear the jeers about Hiccup. Astrid could notice that Hiccup kept his head down as he walked.

Astrid's heart became uncomfortable seeing Hiccup being treated like that. That is, Hiccup is the future heir of Berk, he shouldn't have accepted such a thing.

Shaking her head, Astrid took a deep breath. Enough thinking about her former best friend. He probably deserved it.

It was dusk, Astrid decided to walk to the Great Hall for dinner. After all, she never eats at home. Her mother, Ingrid, was the cook at the Great Hall. Astrid can't even cook. She is a fighter. The last time she cooked, the fish she cooked had a very tough texture, as if it had been frozen for 300 years. No one praises Astrid's terrible cooking, except for Hiccup. Hiccup humbly appreciates at least Astrid's attempts at cooking. The boy never wanted to hurt Astrid's feelings. Not only Astrid but everyone. How tender hearted.

"No Astrid, you can't think about that Useless,"

On the other hand, Hiccup, who is soft-hearted, is treated badly.

"Don't you ever-"

But, Hiccup is too kind!

"Enough!"

Astrid sighed and pushed open the wooden door of the Great Hall. There are already enough people here. Astrid's eyes scanned her surroundings. No Hiccups. Had he avoided entering the Great Hall and gone straight home? Isn't he starving?