Chapter 9 - 10 years later at Berk

A/N: Hi, thank you for reading this story. Happy reading guys!

Astrid woke up from her sleep. Morning sunlight streamed in through the open window of her room. Astrid slowly got up from her bed and sat up, staring blankly at the wooden wall of her room. She again felt the sadness that he always felt every day when she woke up. Guilt. Never in her life had she thought that she would become such a heartbroken and pathetic girl. The image of a strong and proud shield girl, seemed to belittle her current state.

Astrid looked around the village from her window, while inhaling the morning air which ended with a heavy sigh. She saw that the villagers were starting to come out of their houses, stretching to get ready for work. The men went into the forest to cut wood and hunt, some were hauling goods, some were going to the wharf to fish. The women carrying trays went to the great hall to prepare food, the children went somewhere to play. Like it or not, the image of Astrid and Hiccup when they were little running around the village, came to Astrid's mind.

This year marks 10 years of Hiccup's exile. Not much has changed from the residents at first, they were actually happy when Useless Hiccup was banished from the Berkian tribe. They laughed, smiling with relief when Hiccup was banished and would never come back. However, all that changed when Gobber loudly told the Berkian Vikings that every weapon they held was the work of Hiccup. The people didn't believe it at first, but their eyes widened to the size of saucers when they saw the mark on the bottom of their weapon hilts. It said HHH III. Hiccup even made Astrid's axe.

Every Berkian fell silent as it absorbed the fact that a boy who they all thought was useless, had actually made all of their weapons. Amazing weapons, they think Gobber made. Gobber nonchalantly explains that his old age has made him no longer capable of making weapons, only able to repair weapons, so Hiccup is the one who makes weapons for everyone. The weapons were strong, sturdy, and beautiful, making everyone fall in love first without knowing the identity on the underside of their weapon hilt.

After that, everyone started to feel guilty. But some say that Hiccup is still a cursed boy, for befriending a dragon, Berk's enemesis. Some agree but some others still feel guilty. As guilty as they are, it doesn't make their guilt as big as Astrid Hofferson's.

Berk has undergone many changes. The houses are increasing because the population is increasing. Berk Island is indeed quite large, but with the increase in population, it is feared that Berk will not be able to accommodate all Berk residents. The Great Hall is now being renovated to accommodate residents to attend meetings or eat, or shelter from storms and attacks. Many trees in the forest are now cut down for development needs and other things.

Many children were born, boys and girls, during these 10 years, it's like a very popular trend. Children who have not been born since Hiccup's exile, are told by their parents about the incident. Children who should be scared and angry, are amazed and like what he does. At first, their parents thought that because they were still children, but as they got older, they increasingly idolized Hiccup and his Night Fury. The children heard Gobber tell the stories of his students with passion. Gobber clearly likes and respects Hiccup very much, especially regarding his desperate act of befriending a dragon, Berk's enemy.

Astrid also changed. She became taller and stronger. Her beauty is growing, judging from the response of the men in Berk who instantly fall in love with her. Astrid wore increasingly intricate braids from her teens, because somehow a bit of her feminism came through. She also changed her dressing style, just like everyone else. Astrid is still tending to her axe, because it's the only thing left to remember Hiccup. After using it to practice on the edge of the forest, a habit that never changed, she asked Gobber to sharpen it to keep it maintained. Gobber makes a slight scowl at Astrid, but keeps sharpening Astrid's axe, presumably out of respect for Hiccup. The axe, a beautiful ax that was beautifully carved and lavish, seemed to imitate a Valkyrie's exquisite weapon.