Chapter 8 - A Garden Stroll

King Henry looked down as they walked and asked her, "Why do you want to marry Thomas Fletcher?"

Eleanor hadn't expected that question and it caught her off guard. She was lost for words, her mind unable to think clearly in that moment. Should she tell him the truth or would that be a mistake?

"The two of you are so different. I honestly can't envision you as husband and wife," he said as they continued walking.

When she failed to answer, he stopped walking and turned to face her, searching her eyes like he was trying to figure her out. "I want you to look at me and tell me truthfully. Why do you want to marry him?"

It started becoming harder to breathe and her skin was feeling flushed and her palms clammy.

"I, ummmm. I want to marry him because," she said pausing, searching for words with her hands trembling.

"The truth Eleanor," Henry said and her eyes broke from his and looked down at her fidgeting hands.

She was usually so clever and able to think quickly under pressure but standing this close to King Henry made her brain stop functioning. He was close enough that she could smell his earthy cologne and it was the most intoxicating scent she had ever smelled.

"The truth Eleanor," he whispered. "And keep in mind that lying to the King is a crime punishable by death."

Those words made her finally snap out of the trance she was under and she raised her head and looked back up at him in shock.

His face was stern but he slowly cracked a smile and there was a twinkle in his eye. "I'm only teasing. I'm not going to have you killed Eleanor," he laughed. Then he searched her eyes again as his smile slowly faded before saying, "But I do want to know the truth."

In that moment her gut was telling her she could trust him.

"Honestly, I don't WANT to marry him your highness, but I NEED to. My family is very poor and marrying Thomas is the only option I have to ensure that my mother and sisters will be taken care of if my father passes away. This way I know they'll always have a roof over their heads and food to eat. Plus, marrying someone of his rank will raise my family's status so my two younger sisters can have more advantageous marriages as well."

He thought this over and asked, "So you're only marrying him for his money and status? You don't love him?" the King asked, raising an eyebrow. "You're just using him for his wealth?"

Those words made her cringe. "It sounds horrible when you say it like that, but he knows I don't love him. He's only marrying me for convenience as well. He needs a stepmother for his four sons, to take charge of them since they're very misbehaved and he can't keep a nanny. Plus he thinks I'm beautiful and he's taking advantage of the fact that I don't have a lot of other options. I don't think he does either. There aren't too many women desperate enough to marry a man with such a sour personality and such an unfortunate face, that also has four very misbehaved sons." She looked down as they started walking again, adding, "This arrangement is the best option for both of us."

Henry looked over at her thinking. "So you're sure about this? You want to marry him?"

She took a deep breath in and let it out, before nodding her head and saying quietly, "Yes your highness. I want to marry him."

They walked in silence for a few seconds before Henry finally said, "That's what I needed to know. So now I just have to see if you can learn the rules and customs of a courtier. If you can do that and prove to me that you can fit in here at the castle this week, then I'll approve your marriage to Thomas. You have my word."