Chapter 22 - The Royal Ball

***** One Hour Later *****

As Eleanor walked up to the large double doors that led to the ballroom, she could hear the sound of music playing from a string quartet and a piano, along with loud laughing and happy voices. The two guards standing beside the doors opened them  for her and she slowly stepped forward, feeling her heart racing.

She was late because it had taken a while to gather up the nerve to go because she was afraid of how people would react to a commoner being at a Royal Ball, especially Henry's mother and his sister Guinevere. She was afraid they would make a scene and embarrass her in front of everyone, but she had to go because she needed to talk to Henry.

She walked forward and stopped at the top of a grand staircase that overlooked the crowded ballroom and right in the center of all the dancing couples were Henry and Jacqueline. Henry was in a royal suit and Jacqueline was wearing a powder blue ball gown. Jacqueline was an excellent dancer and she glided across the floor like a graceful swan. Eleanor stood there and watched them, feeling her stomach twist into a knot.

Jacqueline's dress:

Henry's Suit:

"They look wonderful together don't they?" a voice asked from beside her and she looked over and saw that it was Henry's mother and she had a gloating smirk on her face

"They look wonderful together don't they?" a voice asked from beside her and she looked over and saw that it was Henry's mother and she had a gloating smirk on her face. "I have it on good authority that Henry is actually planning to propose to her here at the ball tonight. Isn't that romantic?" she asked, smiling as she watched them dancing.

Hearing that felt like a knife through Eleanor's heart and she turned her head and looked back at Henry and Jacqueline, watching them. As much as she hated to admit it, they did look good together. Seeing that was like rubbing salt into a wound.

When his mother saw the look on her face, she asked, "Why are you so upset? Did you honestly think you ever had a chance with him? You're a commoner," she said in a condescending voice before laughing.

Eleanor felt tears burning at her eyes and she wanted to run away and cry, but she couldn't. She couldn't move at all. She just stood there watching them like she was in a trance.