Chapter Five: Snow Falls, Part I

At Henry's urging, Emma convinces Mary Margaret to pay a visit to a comatose John Doe and read to him from the storybook. But Mary Margaret is stunned at the outcome of her visit.

***

Harry scowled at the paper in front of him. "Magic is hard to understand sometimes."

Newt snickered as he sat in the booth across from his nephew. "Especially when it comes to philosophy."

"They call Dumbledore a hero, yet he's done all these awful things, including to you and Aunt Queenie," Harry gestured wildly. "Yet Draco's family, which is known for Dark Arts, have been our greatest allies. If Mum wasn't taught something by you, she was taught by Lucius and Cissa."

"That's true," Newt nodded.

Harry tapped the tabletop as he thought. "And spells can be used for all sorts of intent," he continued. "Even a Levitation Charm would be harmful if you were using it to lift a weapon into place above someone. Or a Leg-Locker Curse, if cast in the wrong place, could send someone falling from a great height. That could be fatal. Or if a spell causes someone to lose their breath . . . "

"Very good," Newt nodded. "So what does that tell you?"

"Magic is magic," Harry deadpanned. "And it shouldn't be classified by light or dark."

Newt laughed. "Good reasoning, Harry."

"Gentlemen," Ruby walked up to them with a smile, her tray held in front of her. "Can I get you anything else this evening?"

Harry looked at Newt, who gave him an encouraging smile. "Could I have another cocoa, please, Ruby?" he asked.

"You bet," Ruby winked. "With cinnamon?"

"Yes, please!" Harry grinned.

"Another cinnamon lover, huh?" Newt twisted to see an unfamiliar man approach, a glass tumbler in his hand. "How are you doing, Mr. Potter-Swan?"

"I'm feeling better," Harry smiled shyly. "Thank you, Dr. Whale."

"Good," Whale nodded in satisfaction. "Well, you know where to find me if anything changes."

"Yes, sir."

Whale turned his appraising gaze onto Newt, and Harry giggled. "Uncle Newt, this is Dr. Whale. He gave me a checkover after Mum crashed. Dr. Whale, this is my Uncle Newt."

Newt smiled at Whale and held out his hand. "Thank you for making sure he was OK."

"Happy to do it," Whale shook his hand. "And I'm glad he was unharmed. Mainly because I didn't want the boy's mother to have a reason to kill me."

Newt laughed. "That's Emma!"

"Uh, I think Mary Margaret should be here soon," Ruby told Whale as she walked back over, Harry's cup of cocoa in hand.

"Ah, thank you," Whale nodded.

"Ms. Blanchard?" Harry tilted his head.

"I'm meeting her here," Whale explained.

"Well," Newt grinned. "Don't let us keep you waiting."

Whale nodded goodbye, and Newt grinned at Harry. Harry grinned back.

The door jingled when Mary Margaret walked in. Harry watched as Whale stood and greeted her before they both sat down at the counter, where Ruby greeted them. Both Whale and Mary Margaret were very awkward looking, and Harry could only imagine how they felt. As they talked, he could see Whale not paying any attention to Mary Margaret.