Chapter Nine: That Still Small Voice, Part I

Emma starts her new job, Regina threatens Archie, Queenie sows some seeds, and Henry is determined to prove his theory is correct. Such a shame that plan doesn't go the way he hoped it would . . .

***

Archie Hopper had known Henry for a long time, and he knew when he was upset, the boy could talk for hours about his curse. Such as now, for instance.

"You weren't always a cricket," he said, messing with a toy truck that Archie had in his office.

Archie watched as Henry ran the truck over the couch cushions. "I wasn't al . . . oh right, because um . . . because you think I'm Jiminy Cricket." He cleared his throat and leaned forward, giving Henry his undivided attention. "Why, why do you . . . why do you think that, Henry?"

Henry shrugged. "It's just because of who you are."

"And who am I?" Archie asked, glancing at his notes.

Henry grinned at him. "You're a conscience. You help people see right from wrong."

Archie frowned. "So all of the crickets in Storybrooke, they were once people too?"

Henry shook his head in denial. "There aren't any crickets here. Listen." He got up and went to the window, where the silence is deafening. A few minutes passed of the pair listening to the silence of Storybrooke, and then an eagle cawed, and Henry realized that the eagle, which had never been seen before in Storybrooke, was carrying something cream colored in its beak. He shook it off and turned back to Archie.

Archie sighed, checking his watch. "Maybe it isn't late enough."

Henry scowled at the man. "There's never been crickets here. You've just never noticed."

Archie raised an eyebrow. "Do you think that's proof that there's a curse?"

Henry nodded. "Yeah, but I know it's not enough. I'm looking for more."

Archie nodded thoughtfully, then he placed his coffee mug down and faced his client. "Henry, look," he started. "I asked you this once before and you said you'd think about it. Why do you think it is so important that this is real?"

Henry looked out of the window again. "It . . . it just is."

Archie sighed, and stood, clapping Henry on the shoulder gently. "Alright, well . . . keep thinking about that answer Henry, 'cause I think there's something buried there."

***

Emma stared at Graham unimpressed when he handed her her new uniform. "A tie?" she asked in disbelief, holding up the uniform in front of herself. "You know you don't have to dress a woman as a man to give her authority, right?"

"So you think you can get people to do what you want in that red coat?" he asked, looking pointedly at her signature red leather jacket.

Emma scowled. "I'm getting you to do what I want right now," she pointed out as she threw the shirt down onto the table and crossed her arms.

Graham shook his head in amusement. "Well, at least wear the badge," he said, holding it out for her. When she eyed it as if it would bite her, Graham snorted. "Go on, take it," he urged. "If you really want to be a part of this community, you have to make it official."

Emma pursed her lips, then nodded and clipped the badge to her belt. The moment it clicked into place, a loud tremor shook the office, and Emma clutched one of the desks to support herself, watching the force knock things off desks and walls. "Whoa!" she gulped, hearing multiple sounds in response to the tremor. "What the hell was that?!"