53. The family that never wanted you

Maddy's POV

Maddy's POV

The rest of the evening was fucking weird, the three of us barely spoke and the uncomfortable silence was killing me. 

I went to wash my face after we had spent a few hours literally sitting in silence, the bathroom door creaked open and closed quickly. I was honestly expecting to see Rafe but to my surprise, it was Kie who came inside. 

"You know where the diary is. I know that you have it", I muttered looking at the girl who went to wash her face as well. 

"I have no idea what you're talking about", Kie muttered back completely ignoring my stare. 

"Kie come on. You don't have to fucking lie to me. I know that you have it and I know that you won't tell Singh okay?", I explained. She was doing this to protect her friends but still, this could cost us our lives. 

"I don't talk to people that use others to get what they want", Kie explained staring at me coldly. 

"What the fuck are you talking about?", I asked confused. This had to be a dream, all I wanted was to live a peaceful life, but no. 

"You know, we actually thought you were on our side. But you chose them. You chose a killer and the family that never wanted you in the first place", Kie snapped making me take a step back. 

It felt like I was reliving the whole midsummer experience with Sarah all over again. 

"My family loves me", I argued tears welling up in my eyes for some reason. 

"Really? Is that why your brother tried to fucking kill you twice?", she snapped. 

I looked at the ceiling, images flowing back into my head. The hands, the water, the air leaving my lungs, the darkness, and the comfort coming back to my reality. 

Immediately it felt like I couldn't breathe again like his hands were tightly wrapped around my throat again. 

I stumbled softly, turning around to walk outside the bathroom. 

"Does he know? Does Rafe know?", Kie asked and I could hear the venom lacing her words, she knew exactly what she was doing to me and my head. 

"What?"

"The kiss. Does he know about the kiss?"

"It didn't mean anything", I whispered before opening the door to the room. 

My vision began to get blurry slightly and once again the air began to get hotter and hotter. Way too hot for me. It felt like my skin was burning while the air in the room was reduced to a minimum. 

It all came crashing back into my memory. Everything, every emotion I felt it all over again at that very moment. 

"Babe?", I heard Rafe say. I felt him grab my arm but at that point, I was hyperventilating, it felt like I would pass out any second.