65. You're a loser

Maddy's POV

Maddy's POV

"What do you want Sarah?", I asked feeling the presence of my old best friend next to me. 

"Uhm, I just- I just wanted to say hey", she smiled weakly. I gave her a tight smile before turning back to the buffet in front of me. 

"Hey", I muttered, giving the brioche bread more attention than her. 

"Can we talk?", Sarah asked after a few silent moments. 

"What is there to talk about Sarah?", I asked, almost sounding like my mother. 

"A lot. We are not the same and- and I don't know why?", Sarah explained, my mind wandering around, not really wanting to care about what conversation we were about to have. 

"You don't know why?", I chuckled, "Well maybe because you kept choosing your 'friends' over me all the time". 

"That's not true"

"It's not? So it's not true that you went behind my back to get the treasure, it's not true that on the day we were supposed to go dress shopping you ditched me to hang out with John B?", I asked getting more and more annoyed by the second. 

"yeah, you're right. I did choose them over you but that doesn't matter because I know that I miss my life. This life, you", she explained, searching for some kind of compassion in my eyes. 

But to be honest, I couldn't care less about that right now. My life was turning out amazingly just now and everything was going great. I would graduate this summer and be rich as fuck.

"Uhm okay, well good for you that you've realized that", I explained not really sure what she wanted me to say after everything. 

"Look, I need you in my life. I found out that maybe this life, the Pogue life isn't for me. I mean, last night I hung out with Topper and something happened and I felt happy. Maybe it was meant to be, maybe this needed to happen so I finally realize where I belong", Sarah explained almost excitedly. 

"Ah so there it is. You cheated on John B with Topper and now you're scared they won't take you into their tiny little group of child play anymore. So you're trying to get back into this world so you're not alone", I figured placing my plate down on the table next to us.

"No, uhm, it's not that. I mean yes, I did kind of Hook up with Topper but it wasn't like that-"

"It wasn't like all the other times you mean?"

"Maddy, what? No, I know it was wrong but I'm trying to apologize, I'm trying to fix this between us, which you have never tried yet", Sarah explained. 

A soft laugh escaped my lips, "Listen, I tried to save this friendship over and over again. All the times I chose you. And you? You just kept on choosing the Pogues, over and over again. You were not there for me, not once. Do you even know how deep I fell into a dark hole when you went missing?".