Fake

As we were stood around waiting for Kayla to get her papers, Mark walked further into the room, holding his phone out in front of him.

"Kyle's out." Said Mark.

"What? Who got him out?" Asked Kayla, looking around at the group.

"Don't look at me. I was going to tell you to cut ties with him and find a new tech guy." Said Walker as he went back to being on his phone.

"Let's just say, I have a few friends at the prison." Said Hank.

"I would say that's so nice of you but you just want to use him yourself."

"Oh sweetie, I'm never nice." Said Hank with a fake smile.

"What about your university gir-" Said Jay before Kayla cut him off by shoving her hand over his mouth.

"That's where you were all day. Hanging at a uni?" Said Antonio.

"I was tracking people down. Also, Kyle's mine. You can't just take him."

"Who busted him out of jail again?"

"This is the exact reason why I didn't want to work with you."

"Okay. We were being friendly, let's go back to that." I said.

"No. You can't just take Kyle, he's mine." Argued Kayla.

"Maybe Kyle won't want Hank." Shrugged Kevin.

"No, he got him out of jail probably as a favour to him. He'll make him work for him or he'll send him back to jail."

"Couldn't have said it better myself." Said Hank.

Once the papers were signed, Kayla walked out to Jay's car but Hank stopped her.

"I know I said you can work but you're on desk duty for a week."

"You're joking? I'm fine, Hank."

"I'm looking after my detectives."

"Fine, whatever you say boss. Oh and before I forget, that's for you." She said as she handed him an envelope.

Walker stood with his arms crossed as he looked at the pair, wondering what was going on before he decided to head over.

"What's this for?" Asked Hank with a huge smile.

"Don't think I like you, that's the money you gave to your PI. Now, stop having me followed."

"Wha...how did you even know?"

"I'm not stupid."

"Got it. See you tomorrow."

"Hm, yeah."

*Kayla's Pov*

You know that feeling you get when your eyes go blurry and all the voices fade into one. It feels like someone's gripped your heart in their hand and has squeezed it so tight that you can barely catch your breath.

Yeah? Well, I'm feeling that right now.

Gripping onto the desk, I tried to get my breathing to slow down and stop my hand from shaking like I was on a coffee high. Blurring into one, I looked at Kevin's face, reaching an arm out before I collapsed to the floor.

"Kayla!"

When I woke up, I was on the sofa in the breakroom and Kevin was sat on the chair across from me, occasionally moving his knee up and down.