Old Friends

Finally, I was out of the hospital and I was able to rest at home in a comfy bed. The worse thing was that, Niko and I couldn't do anything but kiss for the next three weeks until I'm cleared for heavier exercise and work.

We had been driving all day and my bones had started to ache but I prefer sitting in this car then having to get out.

I was dreading today.

Today was the day that Niko and I had decided to drive around all day and possibly drive around the next day to my old team's houses as well as my ex bestfriend's house and I knew that one was going to hurt the most. I wasn't looking for a friend, I just wanted to...I don't really know what I was thinking. I'm about to upend her life. It's not so bad telling the team's family because they all knew I had survived but Hannah, she had no clue. She mourned my death and broke down because of it. She moved on after a year but she still kept photos of us in her loft.

As we pulled up to the first house, I got out of Niko's truck and walked around to his window where he kissed my hand and told me that everything was going to be fine.

The house was beautiful and gave off a warm atmosphere. The house was painted yellow and white with a neat pathway and bright flowers on other side. The fence was also white and the car was an old pink mini, Lily's favourite.

Slowly, I knocked on the door and I heard a few voices before it swung open.

"If it's some news agencies, tell them we're not interested." Called out Patrick's wife, Jane.

"Okay." Said a mature voice.

The door swung open and a fifteen year old girl stood in front of me, her brown hair in a tight bun with flowers. She was beautiful.

"You take after your mom." I said with a smile as tears welled in my eyes.

I was taken aback as Lily dived into my arms and gave me a tight hug while she sobbed.

"I thought you were dead." She said.

"Lily, who is it?" Asked Jane as she walked so fair but stopped and dropped the glass of juice she was holding as we locked eyes.

Lifting my head, I kept my expression neutral because I knew I was guilty of leaving them and I hated every second of it but I had to.

We all burst into tears as Jane ran over and hugged me too. She was in a flannel shirt and a pair of jeans with converse on her feet. Jane always looked younger than she was and was often accused of being a university student when she wasn't with Patrick.

"Come in." She said as she held me for a few seconds longer.

Looking back to Niko, he smiled widely and waved at me before giving me a nod, telling me that he was okay to wait in the car.

"Can I just start with saying sorry."

"No need. After five years of not hearing from you, we received a message saying that you were keeping us safe by keeping your distance."

"Who told you that?"

"To be honest, I don't know," Said Jane as she handed me the letter.

"It had ten thousand dollars in the envelope."

"Yeah, that was from me. I gave it to a friend because I refused to take the money."

"You're a bounty hunter?" Gasped Lily as she showed me a picture on her phone from the news.

"Yeah. I was all over the place. I know I left you guys and I'm so sorry Lily but I couldn't risk putting you guys in danger."

Jane had disappeared to grab a few drinks but came back with a box and tray as well as Niko.