The Waiting Game

It had already been 24hrs and Kayla was still in surgery. Walker's unit had been kicked out of the hospital twice now but each time they refused to leave, not wanting Kayla to think they had abandoned her. Niko was the worst, he had already argued with Earl and had nearly started a fight with a male nurse.

As Niko was grabbing some coffee for himself because the others didn't want any and most of them were asleep by now, a familiar red head walked over to the machine and leant against the counter.

"Hey, Red." Said Niko as he took the lid that Will had grabbed for him.

"Hey, Nikolai."

"It's Niko. The only person that calls me that is my mom when I'm in deep trouble or as I found out the other day, Kayla also calls me that when she's annoyed."

"Oh, my bad, sorry. When I met Kayla, we got off to a bad start and she almost pulled me into a lawsuit but she grew on me. She looks after her family and I often see myself in her. Look after her, Niko. And God forbid, stop arguing with our nurses."

"Yeah, I'll take good care of her and by the way, that nurse was a dick. He was too touchy feely."

"And Earl, man. Everyone loves Earl."

"Yeah, I didn't mean to get all defensive and argumentative but this is Kayla we're talking about. She's in surgery and they just expect me to go home. It's not happening, Red."

"I get that, okay? I know what it's like to see one if your own in this hospital but you need to rest."

"I'll rest right here. Have you slept on those chairs before because it's hella comfy."

"You are such a bad liar. They give you back and neck problems. Also, if my nickname is Red, I need to give you and Kayla one too."

"Alright. Shoot your shot, Red. Let's see what you come up with."

"Kayla can be known as Hunter. You can be, Nik."

"Nah, I am not accepting Nik as my nickname."

"Tough luck. I'm not a huge fan of Red but hey, if the shoe fits."

"This conversation isn't done." Laughed Niko as he walked off to get back to the waiting room.

However, when he walked in, he was taken by surprise to see Hank's unit sat in there. It took everything in Niko not too swing for Hank as much as he wanted to but he knew Kayla wouldn't be thrilled to hear that news and he'd probably get kicked out of the hospital.

"Sorry, Niko." Said Kim as she got up to move.

"It's all good. You stay, I don't mind," He said as he looked at her forehead, studying the cut and bruise that had formed.

"Will one of you be a gentleman and take this young lady to get her head looked at? That bruise is looking nasty and the cut looks like it could need stitches." Said Niko as Adam stood up and took Kim's hand.

The surgery was not going the way, Crokett had hoped it would. Kayla was struggling to fight her wounds and Crokett was having problems with the last bullet.

"Crokett, a word?" Asked Sharon as Crokett hung another bag of blood.

"Now." She demanded.

Crokett clamped the artery and left Kayla on the operating table while he went to talk to Sharon. They walked out of the operating room so they were in the unauthorised corridor.

"Six litres of blood, Crokett."

"So?"

"So? Are you serious? Once that blood bag runs out, you are to use no more."