three

We were back in the town, bustling as usual. I just finished my last delivery.

"I'm all done, any more you need?" I asked Alastor.

"No. In fact, I don't think you should work here anymore, it's too dangerous for you."

I blinked a few times.

"I'm just delivering milk? And I've been working here the last few years...? why is it all of a sudden dangerous?" I asked. I watched as his jaw clenched.

"it's just what I want for you."

"But that's not what I want for myself.... and you said you wanted me to work here, so why- is it because of what Mama said?" His head perked up.

"What? Did you hear?"

"I heard it. And although I do not know what she means, I'm still upset." I said to him.

"I'll see you later, Felicity." I hated him so much right now. I wanted to scream and shout but instead I just walked home.

I walked out to the docks, watching as the fish were being brought in. I began to cry out of anger and I bumped into someone. They dropped their crate of shells?

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry!" I said, sniffling.

"It's nothing to worry about." The stranger said, picking up the spilled shells. He looked up at me, noticing my upset.

"What's the matter?" He asked.

"My brother fired me. It's stupid!" I responded, wiping my eyes.

"Stupid enough for you to cry over?" He then asked. I giggled a little.

"I never introduced myself. I'm Felicity Callora." I said.

"I'm Eric ... just Eric." He said, staring into my eyes.

"I'm so sorry again for running into you." I said.

"That's fine, you're a lot kinder than those blokes. They'd walk right through you!" I nodded in agreement.
There was a silence.

"I best be off home to my Mama. It was nice meeting you, Eric."

"My pleasure. See you soon, Felicity."

And with that, I stomped home, still angry at my wretched brother. I got in the door and I slammed it shut.

"Felicity? What on earth are you doing slamming my door?!" Mama asked. I walked into the kitchen.

"Alastor fired me! He fired me! His own sister. And I did such good work! Please tell me you will punish him, won't you?"

Mama stayed silent.

"I can't dear, it was my decision." I couldn't believe my ears.

"Why would you want me fired? I loved that job! Why would you do that to me?!" I screamed at her.

"Dear, I did it for your safety-"

"No, you did it because you want me to waste away in this tiny house with you!"

"My dear, you won't waste away, you could get married..?" I didn't know who this woman was in the moment.

"I'm too young to be married. And besides, Alastor would never let me! Mama, why did you do that?"

"To protect you. You are my only girl.   I want you safe." She kept repeating.

"I am safe!" I argued. She looked at me, despair in her eyes.

"Oh forget it, I don't care anymore." I grumbled, leaving through the front door.