i. the star-crossed lovers

Devon Kim did not think too much about Katniss or Peeta when he first saw them at the Reaping.

Sure, the girl volunteered. But in the end, it all didn't matter.

Coming from the Seam, Katniss was physically weaker—definitely not muscular, and therefore, in no shape to fight Careers or even some wealthier non-Career districts, like 5 or 6, who were much better fed than others. She might get up to the 2nd or 3rd day, but she would eventually get killed, unless she was crazy good at some kind of weapon, which he doubted.

No one in 12 knew how to wield a weapon until they were 18, and even he, the victor that won the "Career way," learned how to wield a weapon in the Training Center.

And as for the boy ... well, he hardly stood any chance. He was built, and he was handsome, which would get him sponsors, but he did not look like he had any special talent that would crucially save his life. He was eager, he'd give him that, but Devon didn't care much for him as much as Haymitch did.

After all, they were all going to die. Why get attached to them, only to cry and waste his tears?

So, everything was normal. These kids would go on to get killed, probably in the bloodbath, and he and Haymitch would drink their asses off until they returned to District 12 and got consumed in liquor again.

Yep.

Common.

Except ... that the kids weren't as common as he thought.

"Great job. You just killed a ... placemat," said Devon.

The cut in the mat made by Katniss had accuracy and depth. It was accurate enough to get it between Haymitch's fingers, and not deep enough to actually hurt someone even if it was misaimed.

Devon glanced at Katniss, who was staring at him and Haymitch with glaring gray eyes.

"What did you say your name was?" asked Devon.

"Katniss Everdeen," said Katniss.

Devon's hand shook a little, and he hid it under the table. "Arden and Clara?"

Katniss seemed slightly surprised. "That's my parents' name."

"Of course it is."

I guess they'll never let me go for what I did, Devon thought bitterly.

"And you, what's your name?" Devon pointed at Peeta.

Peeta seemed a bit offended that he hadn't caught his name yet, even though he had been talking to Haymitch all morning. But then he remembered that he was drunk and didn't come to the table until five minutes ago.

"Peeta Mellark," said Peeta.

Devon internally groaned. Of course, it's Mellark.

Wherever Everdeen went, Mellark was right with him.

Like those days when they used to always be together.

"Jay! C'mon, don't fret! It's going to be fine."

"Alright. Fine. I'll teach you."

Devon decided to place his hope in these kids.

He just hoped that at least one of them wouldn't betray his hopes like so many others did.

"I will chase you down to your grave and rip you to shreds."

So he taught them.

When Devon found out that Katniss could wield a bow and Peeta could fight well hand-to-hand, he wanted them to fight the Career way—get sponsors, get allies, and stab them in the back in the end. It was the easiest method, and there was a reason why Careers had been winning continuously for the last few years.