vi. the interviews

On the way back to the Training Center, Haymitch and Devon split with Finnick, and Haymitch surprisingly didn't talk all that much.

"Aren't you supposed to lecture me?" asked Devon.

Haymitch sighed. "Devon, will you listen if I lecture you?"

Devon shrugged. "Probably not."

"Exactly."

"Why the hell were you there, anyway?" asked Devon. "I know that you don't do it."

"... I had a meeting," said Haymitch.

"Why?"

Meetings referred to the dirty side of the Hunger Games. Why the hell would Haymitch do that? After all, wasn't he famous for not doing it?

"Things change. And I have to protect you two, don't I?"

"I'm fine without that," Devon snapped. "Why the hell would you ..."

"Look," said Haymitch. "We can't live off our regulars. We need new sponsors. You know that."

"That doesn't mean—"

"When we're there, get breakfast and go train," Haymitch cut his words, clear that he didn't want to talk about it further. "And get Katniss to get closer to others as well."

"We are not done with this conversation."

"But I'm not going to reply."

"I know," Devon scoffed. "If Katniss decides that she wants to listen to me, I'll help."

And then, the days passed by in a quick wind.

Before he knew it, he was awkwardly going around stations with Finnick more and more often, which was awkward as hell as none of them said anything together. As training sessions passed, he started to get a hang of knives again and got an alliance offered by the Careers.

Which ... he politely declined.

Yes, he was close to them. Especially Lucian, for that matter. That man was like a brother to him. But he needed to protect Katniss, and Haymitch and Peeta came to the conclusion that the Careers weren't really going to help in that matter.

This year, he would be going the 'non-Career' way, as Haymitch called, and supported.

Of course, Devon wanted to do it the Career way. It worked, and it gained sponsors, but since everyone was already well-known and popular, especially for 12, with the newest victors, Haymitch thought differently.

And the concluding part of training came with the individual assessments.

Of course, the whole thing was a joke.

Half of the tributes seemed determined to get the lowest score possible. During lunch, everyone joked about it. Sing, dance, strip, tell jokes. Mags decided that she would just take a nap.

Devon didn't really know what to do. Throw knives? He was getting back his skills from when he was sixteen and was above average.

But he wanted something more.

Something that could tell the Gamemakers, "Fuck you and all of your shit."

But thinking of Katniss, he decided against it and decided to throw knives again.

One by one, the tributes were called.

Gloss was first, and he gave his sister a reassuring smile before going in.

Then Cashmere went, then Lucian, who looked nervous, Enobaria, Beetee .... and so on and so forth.

When Finnick left, he glanced at Devon, and Devon avoided his eyes.