viii. the bloodbath

The gong rang, but Devon Kim could do nothing but stare at his surroundings in dismay.

He looked like shit, and he knew that, but more than that was the fact that he couldn't swim.

He had his leg in a cast because even the great Capitol doctors ended up not being able to fix his leg somebody had deliberately stepped on during the chaos.

And with a cast, it was easy to see that it would be difficult to swim.

On top of that, his hand was trembling just from the mere sight of it.

"Fuck ... fuck," he muttered.

The back of a blood-stained jacket floated in the water, with its owner floating with it.

The District 9 male, Miller, jumped into the water.

The clear water was soon covered in blood.

District 5's female tribute, Adira, had already swam off away from the Cornucopia.

His hands were covered in blood.

Devon looked down at the dark water and contemplated diving into it before backing off again.

"Fuck," he whispered.

He could still see the green eye boring into his own, full of life, full of malice. He could also see the life fade from that very same eye, before becoming empty.

He noticed the Careers swimming toward the Cornucopia, Lucian included, before Katniss almost hit him in the heart. He managed to dive before it hit anywhere crucial, but it did hit his arm.

Devon could see the arrow coming his way, hitting him in the shoulder. He yelled out in pain.

Katniss and Finnick were together, and the rest of the victors, excluding the Careers, seemed to be in a similar situation as him.

The water nearly consumed him. It came up to his nose, and his mouth .... making it harder and harder to breathe.

He saw Katniss and Finnick starting to run toward him, and the two exchanged words before Finnick dropped all of his weapons on the sand and dived into the water.

A strong arm grabbed onto his jacket, lifting him up and leaving him to sputter out water.

Katniss covered the area, but nobody seemed interested, except for the Careers, who were all picking and choosing their choice of weapons.

His eyes were blinded.

Before Devon could assess anything else, a familiar black hair appeared before him, and he almost recoiled at the face in front of him.

Sea-green eyes grinned at him.

"Allies?" the ghost of his past asked.

"Hyung?" his present asked.

The very same eyes, but different smiles, different looks. More mature, more built, more ...

"Finnick," Devon breathed.

It was Finnick.

"Come on, Devon. I'll be with you," said Finnick, offering a hand to him.

"C'mon, are you going to keep my hands empty like this?" his ghost demanded, shaking his outstretched hand.

Devon tiredly shook his head and gave him his hand.

"Thank you, Finnick," he answered.

"Fine," he said, giving his hand.