v. the secrets

"Good job in there, Katniss," said Devon in the elevator. "Now we're going to get some allies."

Katniss smiled slightly. "Thanks."

They both stood in awkward silence. They weren't really close to each other. Not really, since Devon was in stuck his room all day last year during the training, and even this year, Katniss was closer to Haymitch than to Devon. He didn't like to talk to her, and neither did she, as she hated his use of "Everdeen" as well as "Catnip" or "Girl on Fire."

But surprisingly, Katniss spoke before he could think of anything to talk about.

"Hey, is ... is your leg okay?" asked Katniss in worry. "I mean ... I know you didn't do too much exercise, but doesn't it hurt a little?"

Devon wondered how she knew that, but laughed. "Don't worry. It's fine. Didn't do much anyway."

"You sure?" Katniss' brows furrowed in worry.

"Yes. Why are you so worried, anyway? It's not a big deal, Everdeen."

Devon tried to ignore the pain rising in his leg and discreetly moved so that his weight would be more dependent on his right leg than his left, which was starting to ache painfully.

"My mom's a healer," said Katniss, as if that explained everything. Devon stared at her, and she elaborated a little. "She saw your leg and said it'll hurt every time you walk."

Devon's eyes twitched. "Clara said that?"

"Yes."

"Well, she's wrong, then. I'm fine," said Devon. He sighed at the look of distrust in Katniss' eyes. "As much as you wouldn't believe me ... I was a healer. I know my condition better than anyone."

Katniss still didn't look convinced but went along with it anyway. "Fine."

The elevator dinged, and they stepped foot into the penthouse, where Haymitch, Peeta, and Effie were gathered in the living room, clearly in a good mood.

"What's going on?" asked Devon, plopping himself on the couch.

Katniss followed the action.

"Why don't you take a shower first?" Effie offered.

"It's fine, Effie. It only takes a few minutes," said Peeta. "So, it's good news."

"What is it?" asked Katniss.

"At least half the tributes want you as an ally," said Haymitch.

"What did you do there, Katniss?" asked Peeta, curious.

"Well, they saw her shoot," said Devon with a shrug.

Peeta grinned widely. "Good job, Katniss."

Katniss' face turned a little pink at the boy's smile.

"Well, sweetheart, you got your pick of the litter," said Haymitch.

"I want Wiress and Beetee," answered Katniss immediately.

Haymitch looked confused. "Is there anyone else?"

"Mags."

None of them responded to that, and Devon could tell that Katniss knew none of them approved of it.

"All right, fine, then no one," said Katniss, looking upset.

Haymitch sighed as he exchanged looks with Peeta. "I'll tell them you're still making up your mind. Go get washed."

It was easy to tell that none of them approved of Katniss' decision, and neither did Devon. He didn't know what she was thinking.

Wiress and Beetee?