vii. the games

Oh no.

That was Katniss' only thought as she saw Devon falling onto the ground.

She couldn't move, as if she herself was frozen in time, as Devon slowly fell, and touched the ground, head-first.

As soon as his head landed on the ground, Katniss' body suddenly obeyed her commands again as she reached out to him, and fell onto her knees beside him.

"Devon, Devon!"

Devon's head was bleeding, and from what she could tell, the left side of his body, which he fell with, looked pretty painful.

"Ow ..." he muttered from the ground. "Don't yell."

He struggled to sit up, and Katniss grabbed his hand to help him get up.

Just then, the elevator dinged again, and Effie, Haymitch, and Peeta came in, looking pretty rumpled up as well.

"Oh my god!" cried out Effie, seeing Devon's bleeding head. "Devon!"

"Don't ... yell," Devon mumbled.

"What happened?" asked Haymitch calmly.

Katniss stuttered. "He ... he fell. I don't know why—"

"Oh my god. Look at his leg," said Peeta, kneeling beside the two of them.

Devon's left leg was bleeding and at an awkward angle, as if he had sprained it or crushed it.

"What ... what ..."

How had she not noticed?

Yes, the chaos back at the interviews was crazy, but she still had a time when they were coming upstairs—how could she have not noticed?

"Call the doctor," said Haymitch. When nobody responded, he yelled it louder. "Now!"

"Oh, yes, yes, we need to ..." Effie muttered.

She rushed toward the telephone hanging on the wall beside the elevator, which was always there for emergencies but had never been used before.

While Effie made a call, Devon groaned in pain.

"Fuck ... do something," he growled out.

"What are we supposed to do?" asked Peeta.

None of them knew anything about healing, maybe Katniss a little, but she wasn't used to these kinds of wounds either.

"Set ... the bones right. My ankle is sprained, and ... shit," Devon hissed in pain as his leg twitched, making his angle go in the wrong direction. "Peeta, grab my ankle."

"What? You—"

"Now. I'm not repeating it," Devon said. Peeta went and put his hands on Devon's twisted ankle. Devon bit his lips. "Now, twist it to your right, my left. On my count, three, two ... Fuck!"

As soon as Peeta set the bone, Devon cursed profusely, most in some kind of language that none of them understood, but knew at the same time that it probably wasn't good.

Just then, the elevator dinged, and a team of Capitol medics came rushing out. They were all dressed in a gray scrub with the Capitol's symbol on their right chest and looked quite distressed.

They all rushed toward Devon and moved the four out of the way to look at him.

"Fracture, sprain, and excessive bleeding," a redhead judged. "Move him."

The other medics followed, opening a portable bed and lifting Devon.

"Where are you taking him?" demanded Peeta.