iv. the training

To say the least, Devon hated the costume.

He hated the slight warmth it gave in the summer, which made him boil in heat.

He hated the stupidly realistic view of a burning fire on it, and he hated how it stuck to his body so fucking much.

Like that day.

But the crowd seemed to love it.

"Katniss! Katniss! Katniss!"

Well, more of Katniss, but who gave a fuck?

So Devon was relieved when the fire died out the moment they arrived.

Devon was glad that at the very least, his trembling hand would be hidden by the rocking of the chariot.

"Nice. Way to make friends out there, you two," greeted Peeta as Devon and Katniss came back in.

"We learned from the best," said Katniss, smiling at Peeta, who grinned back.

Devon, instead of making a snarky comment, decided to fold his arms over his chest and hide his hands. He glanced at Haymitch, who was walking toward them with Seeder and Chaff.

"I wanna introduce you to some special friends of mine," said Haymitch with the brightest expression that Devon had seen this whole day. "This is Seeder and Chaff, from District 11."

"Nice to meet you," said Chaff, and he grabbed Katniss and kissed her smack on the lips.

Chaff and Haymitch chuckled, and Devon laughed at the expression on Katniss's face.

"Uh ..." said Haymitch, still chuckling. "He's very friendly. Don't invite him over. He'll drink up your liquor. I'll see you guys soon."

Seeder nodded, and Chaff waved goodbye enthusiastically.

"Let's get some of that makeup off you and talk about these other tributes," said Peeta.

"These tributes are crazy," said Katniss, looking back, still in shock at the kiss.

"No, not all of 'em. He's a good guy," said Haymitch. He mock-saluted the Peacekeepers. "Carry on."

The elevator door opened, and the four of them stepped in. They were about to press the button when a young woman with a ponytail dressed like a tree came in. Devon recognized her right away and internally groaned.

"Well, you guys look amazing," said Johanna spitefully.

"Thank you," replied Katniss.

The door dinged, and the elevator doors closed.

"My stylist is such an idiot," said Johanna, starting to take off her accessories. "District 7. Lumber. Trees. Ugh! I'd love to put my axe in her face. So what do you think? Now that the whole world wants to sleep with you?"

Devon did not know who that was directed toward but guessed at Katniss.

Katniss scoffed. "I don't think that the whole world..."

"I wasn't talking to you," Johanna snapped.

Damn.

Katniss looked away from her with a distasteful look. "Okay."

Johanna looked at Devon, before deciding on Peeta. "Will you unzip?"

Peeta glanced a bit at Katniss, who glared at him but answered anyway. "Yeah."

He helped her unzip, and Johanna sighed in relief as she pointedly turned around to show off her body as she took off her costume.

She was, not surprisingly for her, not wearing anything underneath.