Chapter 9: Church attack

Beta read by Shigiya, Paragon of Awesomeness and Fluffy Slayer

.

.

.

-Abandoned Church-

On the outskirts of Kuoh city, a place seldom explored by anyone, the chorus of cicadas gradually faded  as the sun gradually faded as the sun began its descent upon  the vast forest. Eventually, the solitary church emerged  — having long been forsaken and left to decay. The relentless march of time had taken its toll on the structure, causing it to steadily crumble, with moisture and dust amassing both within and outside the building. 

Within the dilapidated confines of the altar, a familiar Fallen entity lingered, her near-death experience still fresh in her memory. Her ill-fated endeavor to eliminate a repugnant human she had deceived during a date had met with disastrous consequences. All due to a certain Heroic Spirit, donned in crimson attire. Since then, time had elapsed, marked by a mere handful of days spent in seclusion, recuperation and deep contemplation. Yet, this period had proven to be a cascade of failures stacked upon setbacks, leaving her uncertain of her next course of action. 

Raynare took a deep breath, disregarding the lingering dust in the air as she attempted to steady her frayed nerves. The news of her group’s demise had sent shockwaves through her being. 

Yes, they were killed, much to her disbelief. 

“Those fucking Devils!” Her fury had reached its zenith,  engulfing her in a whirlwind of emotions, so intense that it seemed as if she was about to rip out her own hair in retribution. “I told that stupid blue-haired bitch to steer clear of the Devils and concentrate solely on killing that human! Now their corpses are probably reduced to dust by now.” Her worries have doubled since the arrival of the newest member of the Gremory peerage. Including that white-haired Knight who has been thrown at her side, causing the demise of her comrades and her plans.

“Raynare-sama!” One of her underlings, a rogue priest, approached her and swiftly drooped to one knee. “We have thoroughly combed through the ruins and detected strong remnants of Devil magic and pure Mana. However, none of our scouts managed to obtain a cl-clear vi-visual because…. Um… That is—” 

“Spit it out already!” 

Not in the mood for these ridiculous stutters, she silenced the man’s stuttering with a crimson spear held close to his neck. With fear clouding his eyes, he promptly retreated, hastily crawling away from the vexed Fallen before responding to her question.

“A-Ah, they were killed!” He confessed, the fear in his voice palpable as her gaze intensified, fixated upon him. Those murderous, rage-filled eyes pierced his very being. The slightest misstep could cost him his life. “W-We discovered what we believe were pieces of some of their bodies. The rest were annihilated by powerful magic spells, and a few were even frozen to death!” 

“Useless!” Her black leather boot smashed against the wooden floor, cracks spreading around her as she gritted her teeth. “First, Mittelt kept getting on my nerves, Donhaseek constantly questioning my orders, Kalawarna acting like an uptight bitch, and that excommunicated sister who was supposed to arrive today got her flight delayed! Nothing is going as planned! How am I ever going to end up in Lord Azazel’s good graces if all of you worthless buffoons keep pulling me down!?” The Sacred Gear extracting machine was already set. It only needed a source of magic to work, which was not that hard for her to provide.