~15~

Bruce's POV

The cafe wasn't anything fancy like the ones on those brain numbing celebrity shows. This one had a homey touch to it. Even for someone like me who has never felt like that, I strangely felt at peace in this cafe.

I ignored the eyes on me and walked straight to the counter, itching to see his face again for reasons I didn't know. Instead I saw a face I would be better off without seeing.

"Hi, what would you like to order?" The male asked with a bored lilt.

He must be the guy those two idiots saw with the omega

"Where is he?"

The guy behind the counter was confused. "Who?"

"The male omega that works here"

"We don't have any male omega working here"

I was all kinds of angry and itching to break a neck, including the idiot in front of me as well as the other two who dare lie to me.

"Mason I need help with th–"

He came out of the backroom with a tray of lemon meringue cookies. I felt a pang in my chest and his scent of strawberries and cream filled my nostrils.

He was my mate

Beryl's POV

They say the time you finally meet your mate is the most magical moment of your life, sparks flying and all the fairytale stuff.

It's said that they will love you unconditionally and put you before everything,and the most important...stay with you forever.

That wasn't it for me

I was terrified, nervous and my heart pounding so loud the whole cafe must have heard. Looking at him again and clearly for the first time, I was scared...scared of getting rejected.

He was tall, dressed in style and all black with muscles straining. I never thought that the person I helped clean his wound would turn out to be my mate. I didn't care that he was in the mafia, I had my own problems to take care of. To me this was a one time thing and could never happen again

I was sorely mistaken

I carefully handed over the tray to Mason who looked between us before leaving to serve the customer

"What...what would you like to order?"

I could feel his eyes boring holes in my head.I didn't look up and kept my eyes on the iPad

"Coffee, black. No sugar" His voice was rich and deep, sending signals to my lower body.

This isn't the time to get hard, calm down little one

"Okay. Should I....add a name?"

I looked up the moment he leaned down, our lips almost touching. I could feel my face getting red, I tried backing up but I couldn't move. I was stuck standing like a deer in headlights and his pheromones weren't making it easier.

He leaned down and whispered in my ear "It's Bruce Valeska, amar"

My hear thumped at the sound of the pet name

Valeska, that name sounds familiar

He stepped back and winked, not helping the blush on my face settle down or my beating heart. I quickly did his order and handed it to him, looking away. I didn't want those 'sparks to fly'. Sooner or later he'd see me as a burden and useless.

Just like my father

I may have escaped that prison of a mansion but his words are always stuck in my head....on repeat.