Chapter 14

DELANEY

Getting up in the morning is a pure struggle. Whose idea was it to give me an injury? I just wanna have a little chat. The universe seriously hates me. 

Willy and August thought they had the best idea on earth and decided to make a group chat for us because they thought it would help me. Instead of helping me, it has done nothing but piss me off. Since the boys have a morning gym session together they have been trying to get a hold of me since 5 am. I've just about had it when one final message comes through; 

Dumb & Dumber 

Dumb: Guess what Laney!!

Me: What

Dumber: Aug is dropping you off today cause I'm heading straight to Frankie's <3

Dumb: Ya, what he said 

Me: 🥲🔫

Dumb: Don't b like that. I expect you ready in 30 

Ahhh, shit. That means I have to bust my ass getting ready. I'm not even out of bed yet but I manage to hype myself enough and drag myself down the hall to the bathroom. I'm not a morning shower person anyways so I start by doing my skincare and other crap like makeup. I wonder what my morning would look like if I didn't care what people thought. 

I'm ready and downstairs exactly twenty-six minutes later with a couple of minutes to spare, eating a banana whilst I watch my Mum getting ready for her day. My Mum is a Architect at a local office and I love watching her do what she loves. She's so good at it and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous, sometimes I wish I had a burning passion for something like she does. But I don't no matter how many things I've tried. 

We talk about what our week looks like for a little bit before I hear a honk coming from outside. I look at the kitchen window out into the driveway where I see August in his car next door. 

"Right, that's my ride. I'll see you later, have a good day, Mum," I say giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"Bye, love ya and see you later," I hear her as I walk out the door. 

Hoping in the car my senses are immediately overwhelmed by the smell of his gorgeous cologne, I hear Taylor blaring from the speakers and my sight is blinded by the hotness of August Carter. Damn it. It's not fair for me to be so overwhelmed at this time of the morning. 

"Goood mooorrnning, Laney. Today is going to be a great day. I can feel it," his bright mood is too much. I keep my best straight face even though I want to smile every time I see him. 

"If it were a good morning I'd still be in bed and not getting a ride from my worst nightmare  instead from Chris Hemsworth."

"I think we can both admit I'm wayyy better than Chris Hemsworth."

"Nuh-uh, you will never compare to Chris," I rebut. I'm glad things aren't awkward between us since... you know. Great. I've reminded myself of last night and I think Gus is on the same wavelength. The mood = killed. 

I focus on the song playing in the car. Speak Now, another favourite of mine and I quietly hum along to it. I hear Gus clear his throat every now and again but it's not until after the fourth time he does it I get annoyed. 

"Got a frog stuck in your throat?"

"What? Oh, uh, no," real convincing Carter. 

"Mmm, sure. You were just making a lotta noise over there, thought I'd check."