Chapter Twenty-Six

The Police came into the flower shop the next day as the cameras were being installed. Dominic was there, watching intently as the cameras were hooked into the wall.

One of the two men that had walked in showed me a few more pictures. Dominic walked over, peering down over my shoulder.

There were five photos, and one of them looked very similar. My heart had quickened, and I about opened my mouth, but I looked closer, finding the slight curve of a tattoo peeping over his collar.

Well... Did he have a tattoo there? He could have... No, I don't think so.
I shook my head, and they left.

"I swear if they don't find him soon, I promise I will. I won't be so nice if I did," Dominic said, an angry look in his eyes as he watched the two police men walk to their car.

"They'll find him," I said, trying to sound confident, trying to reassure myself more than him.

He laughed softly, sardonically, "oh, they better."

Mary-Lee walked down from the stairs with small cups sitting on a tiny silver tray.
"Black coffee for you," she handed it to Dominic. She set hers aside and then handed me a green tea.
"Thank you."

"Thank you so much, dear, for the cameras.  I can't put into words how thankful I am," Mary-Lee said in her slow, gentle voice, smiling softly at Dominic.

He nodded, still staring out the door.

Mary-Lee watched him curiously and then added, "Violet, why don't you go home for the day. We haven't been very busy."

I wanted to protest but kept my mouth shut.

You mustn't complain.

"Dear, take Violet home. I won't need her again till next Saturday," Mary-Lee said, briefly placing a hand on Dominic's arm to get his attention.

Slowly, he looked back at Mary-Lee and then me. He was emotionless, like a large statue standing in the room.

"Mm," he nodded towards the door.
I couldn't help but wonder if something was wrong.

"... Are you okay?" I asked hesitantly once he got into the car.

"I'm fine."

"I don't really believe you."

He looked at me then, his eyes ran from head to foot. "I'm fine."

I stared at him as he started the car, wondering what he was really thinking, what was going through his mind. He hadn't been himself since... Then.

He seemed angry all the time, unapproachable and intimidating. He called into work often and sometimes wouldn't attend his classes.

Some part of me wanted to comfort him in some way, tell him it was okay, but I hadn't the courage to. He was intimidating, large, massively tall compared to me.

I knew he wouldn't, but some small part of me didn't trust him. He could... take advantage. I wouldn't be able to do anything.

He never would. I know he won't. Hopefully.