Chapter Forty-Three

I wrapped bouquets as I watched the snow fall outside.

My shift ended in ten minutes. I watched as Dominic's red Mustang parked outside the store.

Mary-Lee was on the phone, writing down an order for a wedding. I watched as Dominic stepped out of his car, the snow dotting his hair and melting into his black jacket.

It had been a week since Christmas. I hadn't seen Dominic in two weeks, and looking at him now, as he opened the door, and glanced up at the tulip shaped bell above him, all the feelings I felt whenever I was near him came rushing back.

I hadn't known why he was gone for so long or why he didn't visit his family on Christmas day, but I didn't ask, and I didn't want to bother anyone, even though his absence hurt.

He looked at me and walked around the counter. "You can't come behind here," I started before he wrapped me up in his arms, pulling me into him.
My breath caught.

"Mary-Lee, I'm taking her," Dominic called into the back room before he completely sweeped me off my feet and went towards the door.

"Please, put me down."
Heat rushed to my face when he looked at me.
"No chance," he said. "I'm spending the day with you. It's been too long."

"Clara-"

"Text her." He opened his car door and placed me inside. "I shouldn't have stayed up there."

"College?" I asked as he started his car.

"The whole week. Now talk, I want to hear your voice."

I glanced at him and hesitated, "I don't know... Please take me back."

"No."

I watched him, wondering about the sudden change in his deamor.
He pulled into a parking lot and turned the ignition key.

"Alright, come on," he opened the door for me.

I looked through the snow and saw a bookstore ahead.
I opened my mouth to ask why we were there, but he beat me to it.
"I wasn't here last week. I want to get you things, Violet." He grabbed my chin, "you completely deserve to be spoiled."

"I- No. Don't." His lips curved as he took me by the wrist and led me inside.

"I don't care how much it is. Get anything you want." I flinched as his hand landed on my back and pushed me forward.

Slowly, I took a step. I couldn't let him spend money on me.
I turned back to look at him, wanting to protest, but I couldn't even open my mouth to say anything.

He leaned down to my eye level, and in a commanding tone, he said, "move."