Chapter Thirty

Dominic never showed at the restaurant.
I couldn't help but feel disappointed, but despite this, I enjoyed the evening all the same.

We had arrived at the restaurant around seven, and Alan, having thought ahead, put in a reservation, so we were seated almost as soon as we walked in despite the growing crowd in the threshold.

Clara seemed to be on edge the entire night. She glanced, keeping an eye on everyone she saw, especially the men.

Since the orphanage, Clara has always been wary and conscious of men. But Alan, though she has warmed up to him slightly, she hasn't put her full trust in him.

Mini did most of the talking as well as Katie.
There were some laughs and memories shared from the Hunters.

I knew they were curious, especially Mini, but they never asked questions about our past. Something I'd forever be grateful for.

We had returned home around 8:30 that evening. The night was cold, and it had begun to snow again.

I remember some nights when it snowed at the orphanage. Ethel would manage to sneak a few of us out at a time, and we would play quietly, making snow angels. It didn't last long. We only stayed outside for ten minutes before we went back in, so the falling snow could cover our footsteps.

I loved the snow. The powdery white texture on your skin and the small snowflakes sitting on your clothes.

I watched as the snow fell now, memories flooding back.

"I'm going to stay out here for a while," I informed Clara as she unlocked the front door.

She turned around, "it's very cold, Violet."

I nodded, "I know. I won't be out long, I promise."

She looked at me a moment and then nodded, a slight knowing smile on her lips.

I used a glove to wipe away the snow on the porch swing before sitting down, tucking my hands into the pockets of my jacket.

I watched as the snow fell softly, slowly piling up, and smiled.

Despite the horrible experiences from the orphanage, there were good memories as well. Snow angels late at night, Ethel sneaking us little treats on Christmas, just small little pieces of gum that tasted like watermelon.

I smiled and wondered: How was Ethel now?