Chapter Forty-Nine

Katie showed up that afternoon, a scarf around her neck and a matching beanie. "Can I come in?"

I stepped back to allow her inside. Clara was at the dining table, sipping on a small cup of hot chocolate.

Katie glanced at Clara and then placed her snowy boots on the floor mat in front of the door.

"So Violet, my family owns this villa down in Florida, and we go there about every year after Christmas, but both my parents are busy with work this year and they were wanting to take some time to themselves anyway, so, I'm just inviting a bunch of friends to go down there with Dom and I, if you want to come?"

Clara looked across the room. "You could come too if you wanted, Clara," Katie added almost as an afterthought.

"I... I don't know," she said.

"Well, we're not going to leave for about another two weeks, so you can think about it. But what about you, Violet? It'd be awesome if you could come and there's this restaurant down there you have to try. It's so good."

I glanced at Clara and then back at Katie. "I really don't know. I wouldn't want to leave Clara alone."

Clara walked over, "Violet, you could go if you wanted to. I..." she paused and then looked at Katie. "I'm sorry, but I probably won't go. Thank you for asking though."

Katie nodded, though she seemed the least bit disappointed by this, granted she hardly knew Clara. "Okay. Well, let me know what you think, but anyway, Macy and a few of the other girls are all going out tonight if you want to come," Katie offered, shrugging a shoulder.

"Just... Out? For dinner?" Clara asked carefully.

"Yeah," Katie said, adverting her eyes briefly from Clara's. "Macy's boyfriend is coming, and then Nick, one of Dom's friends," she said. "Some other guys, but we'll be okay." She looked at Clara hopefully.

Clara looked at me and sighed softly, slighting worried by this.

"It'll be fine, all those guys are pretty nice," Katie added. "I'll make sure Violet's okay, if that's what you're worried about. It's just dinner too, so."

Carefully, despite Clara's flinching, I placed a hand on her arm. "I want to go. I'll be okay. I'll text you." She sighed deeply and looked at me, and then slowly nodded.