Chapter Sixty-Four

After Alan paid for our meal, Dominic took aside a wide-eyed Clara and asked, in his words, to steal me for the night. Slowly she looked at me and seeing my approval, mechanically, she nodded.

Immediately, he took me to his car. Opening the door, buckling me in, making sure I was warm. I couldn't help but giggle at this child-like, protective manner.

He pulled out onto the road, "what're you laughing about?"

"You."

"Me? What'd I do?"

"Opening the door and buckling me in," I laughed softly.

"I'd call that being a gentleman, Love." He looked at me, "keep talking. I want to hear your voice." And so, I had, though not much. Dominic did most of the talking.

Once he parked the car in front of his apartment, he went to my door and lifted me out from the seat. I wanted to protest, but I didn't.

He sat me down on his couch and crouched down in front of me, resting his elbows on his knees. "I love that dress." He studied me, taking in the lace along the hem and neckline, the soft pink fabric and subtle white flower pattern. He took a small section in between his fingers, feeling the soft texture.

He glanced at me, color deepening in my cheeks as he stared so intently. My eyes, my hair, my mouth. I stood, wanting to escape from his stare, but he looped an arm around my waist and pulled me into him. My eyes widened when he kissed my neck.

He laughed, watching as the color spread across my cheeks to my collarbone. He ran a hand along the side of my face, tucking the hair back behind my ears, before he stood and carried me to his room.

I panicked.

"Dominic please, no."

"Violet, I'm not doing anything like that." He put me down and drew back and began unbuttoning his shirt. I turned away, too embarrassed to watch. "Just throw away your trust when I just earned it?" He took my jaw in his hand, turning my face back towards him. "I'll get you a shirt."

He went to his closet and handed me one. Hesitantly, I went into his bathroom and changed, the shirt falling to my knees. How could I go back out there like this? I put my face in my hands, feeling the warmth there on my fingertips.

Slowly, I opened the door and peered out, looking up at Dominic as he came closer, putting a hand on top of the door. "Now don't you look cute," an amused smile spread across his lips. He drew the door open and pulled me towards him, sitting down on the bed.

His hands came to rest on my neck, "Violet, if I asked would you let me?" He said quietly, his face nearing my own.

I swallowed, "what do you mean?"

He grinned, "if I asked to kiss you, would you let me?"

My heart pounded so loud and fast I feared he could hear it.

"Hmm?" He kissed my jaw and then trailed to my neck. I balled my hands into fists and pushed on his shoulders. He smiled, taking my wrists in his large hands as he continued.

Warmth spread to my face and my heart pounded in my ears. I panicked, thinking about those dark rooms, what Dominic could do to me.

"Please," I started quietly. "Dominic please, I can't."

He pulled away, "I promise I'd never do anything that'd hurt you, Violet. I don't want to scare you, I want you to trust me, I want you to feel safe with me." He looked at me, taking a strand of hair in his hand. "All you have to do is say no, and I'll stop."

He looked at me, waiting for an answer, when I didn't respond he lowered his head to look at me, "no?"

I glanced up at him. No matter how scared I was, some small part of me wanted it. I wanted his affection and love, his passion, his warmth and touch, his kisses.

"I won't hurt you, Violet," he spoke softly, making my heart stir.

I lowered my head to his shoulder, stiffening as his hands found my waist. "Okay."

"Okay? You'll let me?"

I nodded.

He laughed softly, "well I can't kiss you when you're resting your head on my shoulder, Love."

Hesitantly, I pulled back, keeping my hands on his shoulders, before he took my chin and covered my mouth with his.

When he pulled away, I was breathing hard, slightly scared, slightly nervous, but happy. I giggled, embarrassed, and tucked my face into his shoulder.

He laughed softly, and taking my face in his hands, he slowly, kissed me once again.