•|Bond by heart

Stepping into Hania's opulent abode, a symphony of polite greetings filled the air. Hania's parents, adorned in traditional attire, welcomed us with warmth and grace. I exchanged cordial nods with them, my parents by my side, as introductions were exchanged in the formality that defined such occasions.

"Zaan, meet Mr. and Mrs. Khan, Hania's parents," my mother's voice introduced, her tone carrying a hint of reassurance.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I offered, my smile genuine despite the formal façade.

Mr. Khan returned my gesture, his handshake firm. "Likewise, Zaan. We've heard much about your family."

Mrs. Khan's eyes sparkled with warmth as she greeted my parents. "And these are nephews, Abeer, Rehan, Ayaan, and Ishaan."

The pleasantries continued, our conversation weaving through familial ties and shared connections. It was customary for these gatherings to be steeped in such decorum, every word chosen with precision to convey respect and courtesy.

As our parents conversed, the Rehmani brothers took our seats on the periphery. It was in these moments that the chasm between expectation and reality became more pronounced. Our presence was a testament to the union being proposed, but the connection was tenuous at best.

Zaan: This is like a scene from a period drama.

Ayaan: If I see another forced smile, I might go cross-eyed.