Recruitment | A FIVE

"So, how's everything been?"

"Great," I enthused into the phone. "I joined a club and it's really been so much fun."

"Oh, that's good." There was a brief silence. "... You're really doing okay, right?" Apprehension visible in her voice.

"Of course, mum. Uncle Louie's been taking really good care of me. He lets me dive in the pool after closing hours and orders ice cream sundaes. He brings PG 13 films over too."

"So basically no different than when you were five."

"Yeah," I admitted.

She sighed and I could just imagine her shaking her head. "Right, just don't tell your father any of that. You know how he gets worried his brother is still the immature teenager from when they were younger."

I could perfectly understand him on that point. "Got it. How's the store doing?"

"Oh, we're alright. Nothing much to mention, really. Same old, same old."

"I'll come over this weekend."

"Oh, Stevie there's no need for that! Focus on your studies. You can't keep coming around like that. Don't inconvenience yourself."

"... Is grandma around?" I suspected.

"Yes." Mum's voice was barely above a whisper. "The crazy crone is insisting that you should only visit us once you've gotten pregnant-what century does she think we're in?!"

I chuckled. "I'm glad to know she mentions me though."

"Mmm, I guess somewhere in that wrinkled vessel lies a shrivelled beating heart. Oh, no she's giving me that evil eye. Gotta go, sweetheart. See you soon."

"Okay. Bye."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

I walked peacefully to the school the following morning with Ashton by my side. Liam was faking a cold to avoid coming in to class because the central hospital would be making their rounds for blood donations. Liam was terrified of needles so that was not happening. Not to mention, a friend of his leaked a spoiler of this sci-fi show he loved so he's adamant on binge watching the episodes to catch up.
Seizing the rare opportunity of this girl time, I confided in Ashton about Shaun.

"A cute athlete who likes old timey detective stories? Sounds like the perfect match for you."

Even if she was only teasing, the thought had me giddy. "Really?"

"Yeah, but he might be bent."

"Hey." I smacked her arm.

"Just being honest, there's many things to consider here," she justified. "I never thought you'd become a player though."

"A player?"

"Yes, that's what they call 'em. Unless Amina knows you're seeing someone else on the side." Ashton smirked.

I rolled my eyes. "Very funny."

"Having an affair is no joking matter, Stevie but as your beloved friend, I won't tell either of them."

"I think I'd rather have you not speak to them in general."

As the academy entrance was in sight, I felt like it was a stroke of luck spotting Amina stepping out of a BMW. The car took off and her line of vision shifted into my field. I smiled, waving. Only not to receive any form of recognition in return as she tore her gaze, striding through the gates.

Ashton frowned. "What was that about?"

"I dunno..." I watched Amina's figure merging into the multitude pouring in with confusion. She definitely saw me.