Deduction | A SEVEN

What had been a trip of fulfilling nostalgia had quickly spiralled into dread by one single person.

I'd aimed to keep Garren in the living room area but he just gaited past it and barged into my bedroom. So there he was, standing in the centre of my childhood domain silently inspecting every inch while I sat at the bed, uneasy.

"God, this place is depressing." Garren frowned. "Your parents have some tact to ship you out of here, I'll give them that."

"I'm actually very content to grow up here,” I said.

"What I can't figure out is where the bathroom is in this peanut shell." He spun around, eyes scouring. "Where's your bathroom?"

"Me and my parents use the one at the corridor next to the kitchen."

Garren's eyes were wide in disgust. "You share a bathroom?"

"Yes, now could you explain why you're here?"

"I told you not to waste time and you had me waiting for over seventy two hours."

"Oh my god." I groaned. "For the last time, I'm not going to change my mind. How did you even know where I was?"

In the school documents when I'd been admitted, my uncle's hotel address had been written. They only mentioned my parent's bakery along with their numbers. He would've had to known I was planning to visit this week too but how?

"Like I told your folks— research," he replied.

"Well, you've only wasted your precious time by coming all the way out here because I am not joining your cult," I said firmly.

I expected a scowl or a glimmer of annoyance on his expression but it remained nonchalant. It made it hard to try acting stern so he'd go away.

I ended up being the one to break eye contact. "Can you just leave, please?"

"Not until I make you realise how ridiculous you are to try to turn down my offer."

"I didn't try to. I did turn it down, could you actually listen to me?"

"Why are you so against being an Ace?" He had the audacity to ask. "I give you the highest degrees of recognition, I personally come out of my way to see you and you show no appreciation. It's very rude."

"Like you're one to talk,” I mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." I focused my gaze on the floorboards.

A silence lapsed over us as I persisted avoiding his eyes but I could feel their unnerving weight over me. Watching me intently like even a single hitch in my breathing wouldn't go unnoticed.
"You looked almost offended that I compared you to me,” he started.
"Why?"

I fidgeted in my spot. "You're the last person I'd ever want to be compared to."

"We're similar." He spoke bold and sure, no ounce of uncertainty.

"In what world am I similar to you? I don't have chauffeurs to drive me around, I don't act like I'm better than everyone and I'm not prejudice to anyone who isn't some educated upper class male."

"That's only because you grew up in a dump, trust me,” Garren proclaimed.

I shook my head, sighing. "There is just no getting through to you... You think saying all this will convince me?"

"It should. What other tactic would be effective?"

"How about not being forceful and making it sound like you have my best interest at heart?"