Hell | A SEVENTEEN

The conference room fell still.

Everyone had simultaneously done a double take on the impossible words that had just left the director's mouth. All eyes had been trained on him but before he'd revealed the name, my gaze had gravitated to the three people in the room who had been very composed before coming in. Almost as if fully comprehending what would occur.

Garren bore the widest, gleefully grin I'd ever seen on him and his ash grey eyes were settled on me.

I swallowed.

The craziest thing was, a part of me somehow predicted this would happen. That he'd have another plan to deploy on top over the other.

It was the last thing I'd wanted and now that fearful envision had become the reality. Eventually, everyone recoiled from the shock and regressed back to said unfortunate reality.

"I-I-I'm sorry," Philip managed to sputter out,  still in disbelief but there was apparent fear mixed in there too. "Come again, sir?"

"Garren Adler," Mr. Ludwig repeated, diminishing anyone's hopes they'd misheard him. "He's already a member and I believe you're all familiar with him, yes?"

"Um, yes sir."

Andrew was more white than a sheet of paper, eyes grimly sunken.

"I've gathered he's even the student who assisted the source to out Mr. Howard's scam and brought it to light, despite the risk he'd be putting himself in. Don't you think that's quite the suitable character's of a quality captain to lead a team?"

I could tell Philip was gritting his teeth. "I suppose, sir."

"As a matter of fact, where is Adler?" questioned Mr. Ludwig.

"Right here." Garren proudly shifted himself into view of the director's screen.

"Ah, splendid. How's your father and gran been?"

"They're doing great," he replied. Although the speech was formal, I could sense a distinct air of familiarity.

It made me wonder about the conveniences that led it to this stage. It was just too perfect. When considering what Garren said about how he'd been digging around for a way to remove Michael— who was to say he hadn't made negotiations beforehand to claim his spot too? That these supposed skeptic board members may have just been an excuse for Ludwig to use. He outranked Ms. Spheperd's authority. She'd have no say if he interfered with Coeus. Garren obviously knew that too.

I had no proof but I was certain my theory was correct.

"Me and my colleagues have reviewed your work for Coeus," stated Mr. Ludwig. "The academy's achievement rate has risen significantly since you joined last year of early August. It's remarkable."

"You're too kind," Garren said.

"We all trust you see to using the best of your abilities and get this club in shape. You have the board's full support."

"Thank you very much sir. I'm honoured."

It was upsetting to watch the sickeningly rehearsed exchange between the two, not to mention hypocritical after criticising Michael for his fakeness.

"I expect you ladies and gents to do the same." Mr. Ludwig spared the rest of us a sharp look and everyone plastered on nervous smiles. He gave one final curt nod and the screen went black, line disconnected.

That was it. Done.

A simple day had spiralled into madness in the span of a five minute call. Unbelievable.