Virago | A TWENTY FIVE

The missed calls had doubled by the time I got back to my suite. I instantly kicked off the shoes to the corner of my bed and crashed my bottom onto the mattress, relishing the freedom of my toes.

I vowed that was the last time I was letting anyone coaxed me into buying thin heels, no matter how pretty.

It wasn't.

After a minute, I proceeded to press the dial and braced myself for shouting.

"Finally!" bellowed the voice on the other end.

"Hey."

" I called you like, five times!"

"I know."

"You just suddenly disappear and Liam comes telling me you're skiving and went down a rabbit hole or some bull like that."

"Yeah, you see—

" Shut up, Stevie. I am not done ranting! "

I obliged and sealed my lips.

"You don't even bother to come tell me anything, Liam says you said you'd come back and I'm waiting and you don't! Where are you?"

"Am I allowed to speak now?"

"Stevie."

"I'm at my suite."

"Explain yourself."

I envisioned how the scenario would go if I told her I'd escorted a superstitious French fashion designer as a spirit guide for her job and aimed to use lawfully frowned upon means to do it.

I considered it but really wasn't looking for a long phone conversation.

"I got sent to the headmaster's office. A family friend called reception and needed me for something. It was on short notice, so I didn't even know the details until she picked me up and then I forgot I left my phone on silent. Sorry for worrying you."

"That's it?"

"Yup."

There was a long breath from Ashton. "God, Liam totally overreacted then. That guy, honestly..."

"You know he means well, Ash."

"Yeah but he made it sound like such a big deal. It had me kinda worried."

"Sorry. Oh, how were the notes anyway? Were they helpful?"

"Yeah, spot on actually. I would've thought you took a time machine to the future."

A grin found its way onto my lips. "Really? Great."

"I seriously don't get how you did that. I mean..."

Ashton's voice strained when I caught my reflection from the mirror and couldn't help but stare. I really did seem like another person. I lifted off the 'camouflage', bangs free to drape over my forehead now there was no hairband restraining them.

In spite of Ms. Dion's crude remarks, I still felt most comfortable with them down. The earrings, I didn't mind. Their pearly gleam just as captivating as the first time I'd seen it on me.

I grouped my hair up to have an undisrupted view. I quite liked it too. I still had the clasps and pins lying around— what would it be like with those applied?

"Stevie, are you listening?"

I released my grasp, letting my hair fall back down to my back. "Sorry, what did you say?"

"You remember Duncan Kress right?"

"Yeah, Liam's mate from psych class."

"He's having a party tonight."