016. Je Suis Une Amie

Rachel was walking with Emily and Spencer through the hallway as the bell rang. They were discussing Emily's upcoming swim-off with Paige before the swim meet with another school.

"What is the point of a swim-off?" Rachel asked, "Why would your coach pit you against each other before a meet?"

"She's using our combined times to choose an anchor, And right now, we're tied." Emily sighed.

Spencer grinned. "Well, you'll change that."

"Maybe not." Emily quietly said, "She wants it more."

Rachel noticed a fire behind Emily's eyes. "Emily, you want it more, And it is okay to admit that."

Emily couldn't help but smile a bit. That's when the three of them noticed a sign asking for French tutoring. Nobody had torn off any of the numbers for it.

"You know who that's for, don't you?" Emily questioned the girls. They stopped and looked at it.

"Toby?" Spencer said. She slowly approached it and tore off a number.

"What are you doing?" Rachel asked her.

"I might be interested."

"Spencer, don't. You can't." Emily warned the brunette, "You'd be going there for the wrong reason."

"Really? Well, what if the same person who gave my name to the bead lady Is the one who framed Toby?" Spencer asked, "What if that was 'A'."

"Can't you find that out some other way? Without asking him?"

"Who else knows what he knows, Em?" Rachel asked her, "This might be the only way."

"If I can get him to talk-" Spencer started before Emily cut her off.

"You won't even get him to look at you." Emily insisted, "He doesn't trust us. He doesn't trust anyone anymore."

"Maybe, but if I have one piece of the puzzle and he has another; then we can put it together and maybe help each other." Spencer explained.

Spencer reached out and tore down the entire flyer, shoving the paper into her bag. She was serious about this, and Rachel was glad she was. If Spencer could get any information out of Toby, maybe they could discover who 'A' was.

‧₊˚✧ ୨♡୧✧˚₊‧

Rachel tapped her pencil against her chin as she stared at her Biology homework. She should've known how to answer most of them, but as she sat at Spencer's desk, she gave into temptation and asked Spencer instead.

"What are your thoughts on genetic modification?" Rachel read out one of the questions.

"Aren't scientists playing god?" Spencer replied, laid back on her bed staring at the ceiling, "How will it affect human health in the long term?"

"So I'm against it." Rachel inferred, writing down her response.

"He's different." Said Spencer, talking about Toby. She spoke about him dreamily, as if her mind was elsewhere.

Rachel didn't look up from her paper but furrowed her brows. "How?"

"I mean, he's different than I thought he would be." Spencer replied.

Rachel moved on to the next question. "How have humans altered the genomes of species for thousands of years?"

"Through artificial selection." She answered immediately, "There's something about him that's... I don't know."

"Wow. A question Spencer Hastings can't answer?" Rachel said, hints of humour in her voice, "Interesting."

"It's not that interesting." Spencer smiled, "Am I finished with your homework?"