13

Armando Dominguez

My attention on my homework was shifted to the beautiful boy on my bed as he let out a shriek. I looked up quickly and saw him looking at his phone. 

“What is it? Is Will Poulter dating someone? Is the world ending?!” I quickly asked.

“N-No!” Brian replied. He turned his phone around and showed me an email. “I got an email from USC.”

I grabbed his phone from his hand and read the email. I saw that the email said that Brian has received his updated admission status. Brian has made it clear that USC is his first choice, his dream school. A while back, he was waitlisted and told that he was going to receive a future choice if a spot opens up.

“Did you get in?” I asked.

“It doesn’t say. I have to access my portal!” I saw him panicking a bit, his breathing picking up quickly. 

“Why don’t I read it for you? Does that sound good?” I asked. Brian nodded and took me to the USC portal website. He told me his sign-in information and I went to his admission status.

“Tell me that I got rejected. Just say it. I know already!” Brian muttered.

I waited for the page to load. I read the first line, which addressed Brian. Then I read the next few lines.

‘Congratulations!’ was the first word I read. As I read the next few lines, it was obvious that he got accepted! My boy did it!

“You got in!” I yelled. Brian looked up with shock. I turned the phone over to him and showed him what the letter said. As he read the letter, his eyes grew wider and he smiled bigger. 

“No way! I got in!” Brian cheered and jumped forward, hugging me close. 

“I knew you would get in!” I whispered in your ear.

“Thanks for believing in me.” He whispered back. He hugged me close tightly. 

We adjusted ourselves so I was laying back and Brian was hugging me by my chest, placing his head on my chest. He kept reading the email over and over again.

But then the thought hit me. He’s leaving for California. In a few months, the guy that’s opened me up and has made me feel something deep will be away from my grasp. He’ll be off in a new city, furthering his education and becoming something more in life. 

Meanwhile, I’ll still be stuck here. I have my family, of course. And… friends… but none are Brian. I’ll just continue the cycle of bad choices that led my father to where he’s at right now. And I don’t want to lose him.