18

Brian Hazelwood

Brian Hazelwood

My parents were gone for the weekend. It was quiet in my house for a long time. I haven’t heard from Armando all day. Normally, he would’ve already texted me something. But he was radio silent.

There was a loud engine roaring from outside. I know that sound. It’s Armando’s motorcycle. As I headed out for the driveway, I watched as Armando parked his motorcycle on the concrete pavement. 

“Armando!” I gasped out. He got off his bike and stumbled over towards me. 

“Hey, Brian.” He said, lifting up his head. His face was covered in bruises, a large gash on his cheek. He clutched his arm tightly and limped towards me.

“What the hell happened!?” I rushed over to him and put his good arm over my shoulder. I carried him into my house carefully.

“‘Tis but a scratch.” He said with a grunt and chuckle. 

“Stop saying stupid things, Armando!” I panicked and brought him to the bathroom on the first floor. “Sit here!” I pointed onto the toilet seat. 

“Whatever you say.” Armando said. 

“How can you be so calm about this!?” I asked while I rummaged through the cabinets to get the first aid kit. 

“I’m used to this. Or, was.” 

“What does that mean?” I asked. 

He just gave me a grin. “I got out.” He proudly proclaimed.

“Of what?”

“The gang.” He said. 

“Why? I mean, that’s good! But what caused you to want to leave?”

I kneeled in front of Armando, opening some bandages and trying hard not to panic. But then Armando reached down and grabbed my chin. He made me look up at him. 

“I left for you.” He said.

“You should have at least told me. I could have waited for you and fixed you up quickly! Or what if you got injured badly! Or maybe even–” He cut me off by leaning down and kissing me. 

“Calm down, bumblebee. I’m okay. I’m here, I’m next to the person I love. That’s all I need.” He said.

“You’ve suddenly become so romantic and cheesy.” 

“I’ve been learning…”

I pulled out a cotton swab doused with disinfectant. 

“Hold still. I’m gonna put this.” I said. Armando leaned back and just watched me as I cleaned his wounds carefully. “How was it?” I asked.

“Hmm? Getting out? Pretty chill. I just went up to Carlos and told him that I wanted out. He figured that was going to happen at some point. All I had to do was get jumped out. Me versus 5 other people.” Armando explained.