3 - Jump

Her body trembled as she stared at the water below

Her mind decisive, 'to do it or not.'

Then she heard noises. Screaming. Cheering. Hooting.

She stayed there longer than she could remember. 

Can I do it? Will this jump revive me from the trauma? she asked herself.

In a flash, an accident that happened two years ago ignited her fear once again.

It was the same day, same pool twenty-four months ago. Everything around her became blur the moment she dived into the water, that day. She could still remember those faint muffled screams, calling her to swim up. All she felt was a tremendous force pulling her deep down into the water. 

Panic-stricken by the sudden impact, she couldn't think, all she wanted was to reach up. She tried to fight, to swim up but the force was stronger than her. Slowly, the noises outside depleted and the darkness begin to consume her.

She woke up fifteen days later with no serious injuries or health problem. However, the incident left her traumatic.

But today, she wanted to break the cage of fear and free herself. For that she had to fight with her inner demon that keeps reminding, she can't do it anymore. She can't swim.

The cheers below had subsided, waiting for her to do the jump. Drawing in a deep breath, "You can do this. You need to do this," she cheered herself up. 

She took three steps forward, a good hurdle she was familiar with. Racing with her heartbeat, she jumped and dived into the water.

Her heartbeat skipped a beat at the first contact of the water. Her head felt heavy yet her body light. She moved and kept moving forward, pushing herself further. 

It was a moment of delirium, when she had a clear vision of her family and friends cheering for her. 

"You did it, girl! You did it!" Her brother yelled in contentment.

"You are a amazing as I remembered. What a dive, sister!" Her cousins hooted.

But she was still in a daze, amazed with herself. She proved she could do it, to herself and to everyone who said she didn't have it in her anymore. Tears of joy rolled down her wet cheeks.

To the times, she attempted to dive after the incident and came back running in fear of the past trauma, she smashed her fear like a warrior.