4 - Dying Soul

She had made up her mind

She had made up her mind. After many years of enduring all the humiliation, discouragement, belittlement and trademark as a failure, she was about to put a full-stop to it.

She perambulated around her small chalet, taking in every inch of the house that had seen her cry, laugh, rage and every other emotions she had burst out in there. It was a beautiful wooden house owned by her father. When everyone had let go of her, the house took her in, her solace.

The sound of heavy rain soothed her dying spirit. As if the sky intended wash away her pain and bruises, coaxing her to change her mind. She huffed at the view outside, it was dark, wet and cold.

In the mirror hung on the wall, she glimpsed her reflection. She reminded of her chirpy self, how care free and joyous she had been in her younger days. Now, she disgust everything even herself but she took on last look of her.

Her reflection stared at her back, the light in her eyes were like dying embers. Soft and warm. She smiled for one last time knowing that over time, there'd be nothing left but ashes.

Preparation had been made. She had let the flammable liquid soak in whatever it got in contact in the wooden house; the wooden floor, carpet, cushions and walls. She lit a candle and brought it to the middle of the house. 'It's time,' she announced.

Even the loud screeching noise followed by a huge car ramming into her house did not waver her mind. The candle dropped and soon the fire licked everything around including her.

As the fire consumed her body from top to toe, the pain in her heart receded. She could hear sounds of people calling her out, she smiled as the fire started eating her up. At least, she was cared now.

"Goodbye," she murmured, falling on the fire bed as rain showered on her.

Coldness embraced her to the bone. She could hear bells rings in a distant. White light flashed before her as she was entering into a portal to another world. Heaven? Has she finally got out of the mortal world, she thought.

A hand slipped into hers, she looked down and saw nothing but the hold was there, she could feel it. She wanted to know who was it but the brightness was too much she snapped her eyes shut.

Dark. Quiet. Pain. All three were present within her including the hold of her hand.

She slowly fluttered her eyes open, blurry vision, faint sound of beeps and someone leaving her side and quickly reaching back to her. "You are okay. I'm here." Someone repeated as they stroked her hair lovingly.

Several hours later, everything around her settled. In the cold room only she and her husband were there. He sat next to her and held her hand in his.

"You are meant to accomplish what you desired. Not go off like this. I'm sorry, I should have not listened to them. Influenced by them. I should not have treated the why they wanted me to treat you. I should have known better. Had I not come on time, I would have lost you," he sobbed. "Please forgive me. I promise to make things better for us." He begged for her forgiveness.

Her husband whom had come under the influenced of his closed family members and belittled her. For she had once stood against them for looting his money, they had made her, their life long enemy. Her life was thrown, beaten, squeezed and crushed into pieces living her nothing but a corpse.

"I need time... For the fire of life to ignite in me again. Off you go now," she seethed without another glance at him.