10 - Our Tea Time

The tea in his cup had cooled down but his company was not with him yet

The tea in his cup had cooled down but his company was not with him yet. With time moving, he grew impatient. His legs shook as he waited. Half an hour had now gone to an hour, his company was nowhere to be seen.

He huffed, slapped his thighs and pushed his chair with great force, it fell with a loud thud.

A few seconds later, his wife came running. Wrinkles on her face deepened with worry as she ran to him.

"What happened? Are you okay?" she asked, scanning him from top to bottom for any injuries.

"I'm fine. Are you done talking?" He asked with narrowed eyes.

"Yes I'm done. Thanks to you it ended sooner than I thought." She smiled and went ahead to set the chair upright. "Come on, sit down. I'll go heat up the tea." His wife sprinted to the kitchen with the tea jug and came back shortly after.

As she poured the hot tea on two cups, she sighed. "I should remind myself not to answer any call at this time."

Upset he was, but also considerate. "The call was from your friend. It's not right to just ignore them. Furthermore, she's calling after many years. You ladies must have a lot to catch up," he said with the tea cup in his hand.

"I know but its our tea time. I can't break the tradition we have been following for 55 years, can I?"

"It's fine, I won't be mad." He reached for her hand across the table and squeezed it a little.

Her eyebrows shot up. "Oh really? Then why did you pushed the chair earlier?"

He scratched the back of his neck and laughed nervously. "Well, it was our tea time."

And like that they continued to live for those little shared moments that became a routine.