ONE

FTR or back for more? Comment here.  ->

CW: Some violence, sexual content, profanity. Slight gore. This is a villain monster romance with a plus-sized heroine. Past fatphobia mentioned. Torture mentioned (past, brief). 

I was sick of nightmares

Nightmares about a shadowy entity with glowing red eyes, following me whenever I went. It was super creepy. 

Often times, I'd be in a strange forest with a Victorian manor standing stark against the night sky, its inner yellow light pooling onto strange blue-green grass. I was never able to enter the manor. Never able to get close enough to see through the pretty windows. 

Then I'd hear the monster's heavy footsteps behind me. Thud. Thud. Thud.

Sometimes I'd hear a snap of a twig. Sometimes I could hear a sinister, low laugh. When I'd turn around, it'd be gone, but I could always feel it watching me. 

Always. 

Nightmares were exhausting

I clenched my jaw, eagerly awaiting the moment I could retreat to my air-conditioned SUV and dig into my bag of trail mix. My head pounded with a pulsing headache, my veins buzzing with impatience.

Why was I doing this shit again?

Oh. Right. Because I need to pay my bills.

I grimaced and tugged on a wire, kneeling on long grass. My tripod was being a shithead, and the cords seemed more disorganized than the last time I unloaded the truck. 

The same truck in question was parked on the grass, looking all glittery with a holographic Spirit Spelunkers decal slicked on the side. At the right angle, when the light caught, it nearly blinded me with its pink and purple hues.

It was like driving around a big-as-hell disco ball. 

Paired with my ability to see spirits and my childhood friend Darby's witchy abilities, we made a badass ghost-hunting duo. We mostly stuck to domestic hauntings, investigating residences and giving them the best advice on how to get rid of nasty spirits.

We helped people. We made them feel safe in their own homes. But lately, the ghosts seemed to be taking a vacation, leaving us to investigate places we usually wouldn't...

Like an abandoned hospital.

A few twigs dug into my knees and I hissed. A piercing, vibrant chirp made me flinch, snapping me out of my thoughts—a ringtone.

"Your uncle is calling me again." Darby sighed, turning her phone on silent with the flick of her thumb. She leaned against a no-trespassing sign, crossing her arms. "Eventually, you've gotta be straight up and honest with him. Don't want to investigate his museum? Fine. But you don't leave a man on read, especially if he is desperate."