SEVENTEEN

How I absolutely wanted to ravish my poor little hummingbird

She was exhausted even with the energy she was taking from me. Truth be told, knowing that anyone was taking my power—willingly or otherwise—would enrage me so. But hadn't she been through enough? Being falsely accused by me surely didn't help her situation, and I was sure this was a harmless circumstance.

Or maybe it wasn't.

If I weren't insane, that would worry me.

It made me question if she was truly human. She didn't smell like a witch. She didn't smell like the fey, either, but those pesky otherworldly creatures had a habit of disguising themselves, even to the most skilled warlock. To me, she looked deliciously human—dark circles under her eyes, her hair a knotted tangle at her nape, and she smelled... poorly.

There was something so adorable about her being run down and at my mercy. At her barest. She shouldn't be here—my brother had lied to me. He was interested in her. Because of that, I couldn't let her go.

At least not yet. Not while my idiot brother was snooping her. Why was he? Because like the ones who betrayed your kingdom, anything you want will be destroyed.

I had to watch her. Always. 

Couldn't let her out of my sights. 

It was in my best interest to be kind to her tonight, and my definition of kind... wasn't so kind. But it was the best that I could manage given the circumstances.

When she figured out what I had planned for her tomorrow, she would surely hate me even more. She would curse me, probably try to kill me for real this time, and never trust me again.

But for now, I could enjoy her presence, her vulnerability, her softness...

"Where are we going?" she asked, trailing a little too far behind me.

I'd like for her to be closer. Claws off, you impatient fool. The past centuries of nothing but loneliness weighed heavy on my shoulders, an ever-constant sludge of despair churning in my mind. The sludge was cold, so cold, and I would kill to feel her warmth...

I looked at her over my shoulder, giving her the smile that always made her cheeks heat. "We shall dine together. I am willing to bet you are starving."

She opened her mouth as if to protest, but her stomach made an awfully loud noise. To my credit, her cheeks did flush, but she looked angry.

I loved it when she looked angry.

She huffed. "Fine."

"That's a good girl."

If she wasn't blushing before, she certainly was blushing now. I held the door open for her to venture inside. She hesitated, looking at me distrustfully. She might have been hungry because her defiance didn't last long. She scurried before me, eyes shifting along the high ceilings, her mouth popped open in awe.