TWENTY

So beg for it, Kayde

My whole body felt like it was floating somewhere in a void, lost and happy, with tingles running from shoulder to shoulder. Vibrant red eyes that should terrify me warmed me from the inside where they watched. Patiently. A slow smirk lifted one side of his lush lips.

Oh, god. Do I really want to kiss him?

What would it be like to kiss something so... dark and dangerous? Instinctually, I knew this was a very terrible idea. I was only lonely, that was all. My self esteem had been in the toilet ever since Bryce dumped me...

What would it be like to forget that he was my enemy... just for a day?

No! He is a literal monster, and instead of trying to ask him to take you home now, or to not kill Chris, you are drooling over him like an idiot! Get it together!

"I can't," I breathed, feeling my stomach sink to my toes. There was something wrong with my head to want him like this. Could he ever feel anything other than hate, anger, and lust? What if this was entirely pointless? "I can't, because..."

"Because you'd feel as if you betrayed your dear uncle. I understand." A peaceful look came across his regal face, and it shocked me that he wasn't angry or offended. Instead, he tilted his head, brushing the underside of my chin with a claw. "Would it be easier... instead of asking for it, instead of making you beg for it... for me to take the choice from you instead?"

I froze, my blood heat to an intense degree that bordered on burning ice. Whatever energy I had absorbed from him started up again, casting an eerie glow all around me. My heart kicked up a storm of a beat. Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa.

I understood what he was saying. He knew I was battling with a moral conundrum—I would feel like shit to let him touch me like that. He was probably going to kill Chris and dance on his grave, using me as a piece of bait to do it. Hell, he might even tap dance on his tombstone.

I swallowed. "That would be much better, yes."

Take the choice away from me. For the love of God, please—

His face drifted closer, his lips hovering over mine. So warm. So close. "No."

He moved away so gracefully that it looked as if he was floating, only adding to the fact that he was not human. He was not of my world, either. 

I stared at him, mouth hanging open, while I watched him finish off the bottle of wine in one swig. I felt sort of numb. Shocked. 

My cheeks heated and I got up from my seat. "Wait, why not?"

"I will never take away your choices. For a man to force them onto a woman is unforgivable. I might be a heartless bastard, but I'd never cross that line with you." His eyes flickered to my face, a pinch of worry or... something on between his sharp brows. "Tomorrow, you will no longer tolerate me, little hummingbird. You will despise me. You know what comes next. You know what must be done."