SIXTEEN

It didn't take long for Droll to come stomping into the kitchen, taking up space and looking menacing as hell. I wasn't sure what he was—a man crossed with a bull? A bull crossed with a man? Either way, he was stout, muscular, and dark with pitch black skin. Two short horns that looked to be blunted sat on either side of his head as his bright blue eyes burned into my soul.

Minnie had stepped in front of me—I guess to protect me—but even she was shrinking down under his glare. I wasn't a girl who needed protection, even though I was in a completely new place with people—and monsters—I had never met before.

I could take care of myself.

I stepped around her, titling my chin up to Droll and glaring at him right back.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I snapped, balling my sweaty hands into fists. "Messed up what? I just got here, and if you didn't know, I didn't choose to be here!"

His eyes narrowed at me. It seemed like he was taking me in—which, there wasn't much to take in to begin with. I was still in a sweaty, red dress that was torn to shreds. My hair was a halo of knots and tangles around my head. Jesus, he was almost as tall as the Shadow.

"That's it," he growled, and with a meaty hand, he reached out and grabbed me.

It wrapped around my waist, and I lost it.

"Hey! Let me the hell down! What the hell are you—ah!"

I kicked and flailed under his arm as he held me like a football. Minnie fluttered about and gasped, all while I scratched at his forearm like it'd actually do something. What was with big, stubborn monsters just picking me up? I was freaking tired of it!

I was also tired of being accused of shit I didn't do.

Before I could curse at him some more, I was hauled through the entryway and dropped onto the ground outside like a sack of potatoes. Dirt flew up around me in a mini storm and clung to my hair. I coughed, getting up, adrenaline surging through my system.

"You see that, human?" he snarled, pointing up at the sky.

I blinked away dust and stared at where he pointed. At first, I didn't get what he was talking about.

But then I saw it.

What looked like a crack in the sky had formed running from horizon to horizon. It was night here in the realm—the sky was eerily void of any stars. There was a moon, but it was half a crescent and red instead of white. Inside the crack was nothing—blackness so dark it was hard to look at. The manor behind us glowed faintly yellow as long patches of grass swayed in the breeze. Neglected gardens a few yards away looked solemn and cold.