TWENTY THREE

He was giving Chris three days.

Unfiltered relief rushed through my veins, nearly making me drop to my knees and cry. He was doing this... for me?

It was more than I ever expected, and honestly, there was no need to grovel for a wish now. We could plan. We could figure something out. Because we didn't stand a chance with an ancient power like him—there had to be answers somewhere.

"Thank you," I breathed, staring into his eyes so that he knew I meant it. Because I did. "Hopefully... I can talk to him, and—"

I cut myself off because he was gazing at my lips the way a wolf would watch an injured rabbit. Easy prey. The surrounding tension grew and grew, urging me to do something stupid like touch him, but I held my innermost curiosity back. Those dangerous red eyes dropped to my nipples poking my nightdress. The corners of his full lips twitched with a smile.

He was so close. So achingly, dangerously close, and I was on fire. Filled with a lot of feelings of relief and gratitude, and most of all, lust.

I had to get out of here. I couldn't let this escalate...

Yet my feet remained rooted to the floor.

He wrapped a large hand around my throat and gave it a gentle squeeze. It was a threatening action, but it caused my limbs to tremble and for warmth to pool between my legs. He could easily rip my head off or squeeze his hand, cutting off my air entirely.

"Bum-bum, bum-bum, bum-bum." His deep voice flowed as he sang my heart's cadence from under his fingertips. His thumb pressed against my artery, setting floaters in my vision. "The frailty of humans. Nothing but a short, inconsequential existence in the face of immortality. Destroying the very realm that houses them. Killing off their own kin for coin. Living one moment, gone the next like a fleeting breeze."

I wasn't entirely sure what to say to that.

His hold was a simple thing to escape from, and if I wanted to, I was sure he'd let me. He seemed to sense my boundaries—or maybe he could read the plain need on my face. And how crummy I felt about it. How desperate my body was for him.

It's just lust. Nothing more. Even if you do something with him... it changes nothing.

An elegant eyebrow raised. "You like this."

I couldn't deny it. "I hate that I like it... trust me."

He chuckled darkly. "Amazingly, I trust you... to a certain degree." His hold gentled, allowing me to fully breathe. "I wish nothing in return from you. You shall go home within a few hours... but do not think I won't come for you until then." He leaned forward and inhaled. A small noise in his throat rumbled in his throat. "I will not be so easy to shake from you, little mortal."