𝒊𝒙. 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 - 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬

"𝑳𝒆𝒕 𝒎𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝒊𝒏 𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒑𝒊𝒕𝒚."

 Athena blinked open her eyes, squinting against the sudden brightness that flooded her vision. With a quick scan, she realized she was back in her room. An odd sense of relief washed over her as she discovered the ability to move her hands and legs.

"You're awake," came a voice, drawing Athena's attention. Sheila sat nearby, a melancholic expression etched across her face. Athena sat up, perplexed at the absence of any pain. "Sheila? What happened?"

The elder witch sighed, settling beside Athena on the bed. "Emily and Azula. Do you not remember, child?" Sheila's words struck a chord, and everything flooded back into Athena's mind. "My legs and hands are healed. Do I have vampire blood in my system?"

Sheila chuckled lightly at Athena's concern. "Of course not. You wouldn't allow it. You healed on your own. Another benefit of being the sole protector," she explained before lapsing into silence, gazing at the wall.

Athena hummed as she recalled all the other times of her healing. The cut she had gotten when Jeremy sliced her hand with a bottle had healed a few days after she got it. Then when Damon had bit into her neck, it had healed almost instantly but she didn't notice at the time.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Sheila's melancholy, prompting her to ask, "What's wrong? I healed, isn't that good? I was practically knocking on death's door."

"You died," Sheila stated bluntly.

Athena froze. Her mind reeled at the revelation. Could she really have died? Anxiety took hold as she paced, wondering how she could be there. Fear etched in her voice, she asked, "Am I in transition?"

Sheila met Athena's eyes but remained silent. Fearing the worst, Athena pressed on for an answer. Sheila shook her head, prompting a sigh of relief. Confusion lingered, though. "Then what's the issue?"

"Remember when you got those family initials on your wrist?" Sheila asked, catching Athena off guard. She had never disclosed that detail. "Yeah, I do. I read that it symbolizes the rebirth of a Cullen becoming the sole protector.," Athena replied, eyeing her own wrist upon Sheila's mention.

Athena's confusion heightened. The initials had vanished, leaving her bewildered. Meeting Sheila's gaze, she questioned, "This happened because I died?" Sheila nodded. "What does it mean?"

"There's no easy way to say this," Sheila hesitated.

"Then just say it."

"In a way, you were reborn, and you lost the mark, which means—"

"I'm no longer the sole protector," Athena realized. She slowly lowered herself on her bed, her mind racing. She didn't know what to think. She didn't quite necessarily like being the sole protector but that didn't mean that she didn't want to be the sole protector.