chapter 38

–Elazar–  

The sound of the night filled the forest around me like a song of woes willing me to sleep, but I was far from ready to give in to the darkness.

I was wide awake and alert to everything around me as I sat on a large tree limb high above the entrance to the hunting cave. Night had fallen hours ago and I have been patiently keeping watch over the entrance ever since I was turned away by kora.

I haven't tried returning since. As much as I wanted to go back inside, apologize and treat the wound that I had so blindly missed on Koras arm, I knew she needed space. And I was still ashamed for what I had done.

I'm supposed to be caring for the human female, giving her all that she needs and showing her that I am a capable male but instead I let my emotions get the better of me. Where I should have been holding her close and taking care of her, I shoved her aside to let my worries, the beliefs of my tribe and our traditions blind me with rage.

Kora said she was attacked. Killing pakus brother was done in self defense. Why she would steal from his body and desecrate it i still don't know the reasoning to and that's what bothers me the most. 

For the short time I've known kora I still can't see her as someone who would do such a thing. Was Roku and the others' judgment on the situation wrong? Were they mistaken? 

Leaning my head back against the trunk of the tree I looked up through the gaps of the canopy and gazed at the stars.

My mind wandered to the nights when kora sometimes looked up at the twinkling Dots littering the sky before looking away as if to shun them. She didn't seem fond of the place she came from, and I have my reasons to believe she didn't want to go back.

Although I'm glad she wishes to stay here I can't help but wonder why she dislikes her old home.  Glancing down at the cave I could see no light from within and could smell no smoke from the vent. 

She must be asleep.

The cool air of the night washed over me making my tail shudder as I stayed within my perch high up in the tree's. Nights have become much colder, at least with the new furs I brought from my den. Kora should have no issue keeping warm, I'm sure she will appreciate them.

Perhaps in the morning if it seems safe enough I'll bring back some fresh meat for her to make amends. 

Closing my eyes I found some solace in the idea. I didn't like seeing Kora so distressed and angry at me. 

I'm not sure what I'll do about our predicament with the tribe, once the first sun comes over the horizon, but I know I can't just let things stay as they are.

—--

Sitting outside of the cave's entrance I mindlessly sharpened the tip of my spear while keeping watch. It had been hours since I awoke and the first son appeared. I've yet to see any moment from the forest or the cave. 

Pausing my work after swiping a smoothstone over the speartip I leaned back and gently moved the vines –hiding the entrance– with my tail to peer inside. 

The bundle of food I left there still sat on the ground untouched and there was still no light from a campfire. 

I pulled my tail away letting the vines fall back in place and stared at the weapon and tool in my hand. Kora should've woken up by now. With a sigh I set my spear against the wall and the smoothstone in my pouch I got up and entered the cave.

Kora still lay in the same spot that she had been in last night. She was curled up on her side with her back turned towards me and the entrance. Watching the slightest movement of her body as she breathed I could tell she was awake but refused to look at me or even get up.