chapter 53-part 1

-Elazar-

"What?" Are my ears deceiving me? Perhaps I misinterpreted koras words? She must have mispoke-

"I said I want to do it! I want to do the mating ritual with you."

I stared at the female in front of me in bewilderment. She didn't misspeak... She wants to finalize our courting. A swarm of emotions coursed through me as I sat there frozen, unable to process her words completely. Inside I was excited, but also conflicted.

"You wish to do the hunt...and become one with me?" I know this wasn't an easy decision for kora after all that she's been through. But I didn't wish for her to do this out of pity for me.

She merely nodded in response.

My tail tensed behind me strained by the collisions of emotions coursing through me. I wished to embrace kora and lift her up above me to show the world her beauty. I wanted to revel in her breathtaking smile and hold her close. I wanted to listen to her beautiful laughter every day and every night for the rest of my life.

Touching kora's cheek gently, I rubbed my thumb over her soft pale skin. I couldn't begin to imagine How amazing it would be to have her in my arms in such a way... to be one with her for even a moment.

Closing my eyes with a deep breath I pulled my hand away, balling it into a fist as I turned my head away to avoid koras gaze.

"No."

Turning away I got up to my feet and walked over to our things while Kora deadpanned, watching me with disbelief.

"No?... what do you mean no?!" She jumped to her feet with a shout.

Gripping the shaft of my spear tightly, I took a deep breath to compose myself and turned to look at kora.

I could see it in her eyes, she was angry and hurt. I knew she wouldn't understand at first. Running one hand through my hair between my horns I sighed.

"I mean no. We cannot proceed with the hunt, not now. Not like this..."

She seemed dumbfounded by my denial, she stood there motionless as my words sunk in. "Why? Why can't we?! You said this ritual is a way to solidify our bond together, it will bind us together so no one can tear us apart! Isn't that what you want!? Why would you reject-"

"It is what I want!" I snapped out. "I want it more than anything else in this world. I want to keep you by my side for eternity, I want to hold you in my arms and keep you ksafe!"

"Then why are you denying me!?" Kora shouted. "Why after everything we've been through are you pushing me away now!"

"Because- although this is something I want I cannot accept this now! Not when you are simply conceding out of pity!"

She stepped back a bit surprised by my words. "When a pairing courts, both parties are consensual because it is something they both want. Especially when it is decided that they will take the last step and complete the ritual. The hunt is something both of us must truly want deep inside. I cannot accept that you are truly ready to proceed with this ritual if you are merely saying you wish to do so out of pity for me."

Her shoulders slumped slightly as the anger she once held like a dagger, fell away.

"Should we proceed with the hunt now, you may realize it wasn't what you wanted and you may regret your choice... if that happens then you may come to resent me. Because of that I can't accept it." I turned my head away ipn shame once more.

Be as it may she can be as angry as she wants over my denial now, her anger over this will last a mere day or two whereas if we were to do this and she regrets her decision afterwards, she may come to resent me forever, I cannot let that happen.