Ch1 Prologue

(Warning: Rose getting her eye clawed out is mentioned briefly in the flashback. Mentioning of blood.

The Fishermen are my own original Uncanny Valley species and if they're mentioned at all they belong to me. Above is what Rose's Scars look like.)

The world of Uncanny Valley was a dangerous place where you had to keep your wits about you. Things happened often. And if you weren't careful, you'd be swept away never to be seen again. Or worse. Found deceased or changed forever. She always needed the warnings. She always had. From the moment she was a little child those rules had always been hammered into her. Serious talk after serious talk by her parents.

"Never trust anyone who isn't even human." "Stay away from them! Never engage!" "Don't listen to anything they have to say!" "You ended up like this because you didn't listen! Do you believe us now?"

That child that had attempted to touch the unknown creature without thinking paid the ultimate price when claws were slashed out, blood was splattered, and her eye taken. Her parents had  taken this as a result of her not listening to the warnings and said she would learn from now on. She did for the most part. She had learnt to be more cautious about things going forward but never carrying the predigest they had in her heart. It was a terrifying thing for her to go through and a terrible thing to live with but she was always a person whom remained open minded. You couldn't live in a place like this with a closed mind. She wasn't one to ever point blame at a whole species because of one individual. Her parents  still didn't get her way of thinking. Only one whom seemed to think so was her Uncle and cousin but they rarely visited and lived far away from here. So it was only natural for her that she'd just go about her life the way she wanted to. And then it was time for her to strike out on her own and make her own sense of the world and make her own living. Which includes moving in to her own apartment and earning a job at the local greenhouse in town. She always did love gardening. 

The Uncanny Valley Housing Company was the ones to call and set her up with a real house with a real lawn so she could really plant things like she's always wanted. She knew well enough to not ask anyone claiming to be a realtor. It was all really just a matter of hiring a moving company and then taking a bus ride to the new home she's been looking forward too for a long time now. 

The road to the bus station was slow and bumpy as she stood up from the typical plastic-y benches. Her stop was here. Smiling, she grabbed her rolling suitcase and walked to the doors as they opened up upon reaching the bus stop. 

She was almost there.