|| Chapter 8 ||

And then there was three. Shane Dyson, Cade Yeager and Tessa Yeager.

They were on the open road, driven by Optimus at the moment in complete silence, Shane was sad, Tessa was distraught and Cade was conflicted.

It was quiet.

"Lucas, we just left him?" Tessa asked, breaking the silence as she turned to her dad, sitting in the middle.

"He's gone." Cade replied, trying to comfort her a little.

Optimus stopped at a nearby gas station which was obviously run-down, Shane, Cade and Tessa hopping out quickly as Optimus switched into his root mode.

"My deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend. Stay here till I'm sure we weren't followed. We are all targets now." Optimus said.

The truck switched back into alt mode and drove off, leaving the three of them alone for quite the debriefing with each other.

"So we're hiding out now? That's the plan? We're taking orders from a truck?" Shane asked, now standing beside Tessa.

"Well, you got a better idea?" Cade questioned, looking back. "Hey, move away from her, kid, don't- keep your hands off her, all right? No."

He went in between them to break the both of them apart, Shane looking back at him.

They all went inside and sat down on several things, Tessa igniting an spark a few times to keep herself occupied.

Shane and Cade were... tense.

The room was tense.

Tessa broke the silence.

"Well, on the bright side at least you guys met..." Tessa said, looking at her dad from across the room.

"Where is he from?" Cade asked.

"I told you, he's a driver from Texas." Tessa deadpanned.

"Texas? Where, Dublin, Texas? Shamrock, Texas? So why does he sound like a leprechaun?" Cade questioned, eyeing Shane.

"You'd get your ass kicked in Ireland for saying that." Shane pointed that out, nodding.

"Well, we're not in Ireland, lucky charms. We're in Texas." Cade said, pausing. "So he drives? What do you mean, he drives? Like, for a living?"

"Yeah. At least he makes a living." Tessa nodded, looking down again at what she was doing.

"Thank you." Cade said.

"Look- I race rally cars. One driver, one navigator. Her. By the way, I'm totally legit. I just got picked up by red bull. And just so you know, my life savings was in that car back there." Shane deadpanned, trying to seem pleasing.

He was trying to get Cade on his side, though he knew that would take quite a lot since Cade isn't exactly the most keen on having Tessa keep a relationship before she officially got out of school. This was bad for Shane.

And Tessa.

"This is not happening." Cade sighed.

"Oh, it definitely is." Shane responded.

They were all looking at Cade, before Cade got up and stepped towards Shane, a thought popping up in his head.

"How old are you?" Cade asked Shane.

"Twenty." Shane replied.

"She's a 17-year-Old girl. So we can work this two ways. One, I punch you right in the mouth and you call the police on me. Or two, I just call the cops on you because this is illegal. She's a minor." Cade said.

"We're protected by the Romeo and Juliet laws." Shane deadpanned.

"We dated for a little while. I was a sophomore, and he was a senior. It's fine." Tessa told her father, looking up.

"No, it's not fine." Cade argued.

"We've got a preexisting juvenile foundational relationship. Statue 22.011" Shane chimed in, grabbing some sort of paper to show a law.

The Romeo and Juliet law, and it looked rather detailed by the looks of it, and it was definitely a legit law by the way it looked along with the signatures.

"Texas statue? That a real law?" Cade asked.

"Yep."

"Romeo and Juliet, huh? You know how those two ended up?" Cade asked, a stern expression on his face.

"In love." Tessa hummed.

"Dead. Do your parents know about this? Is your dad okay with you dating a 17-year-Old girl?" Cade questioned.

"He took off when I was five, but if I ever bump into him, I'll ask him." Shane said, earning a glare from Cade before Cade walked over to Tessa.

"You know, Tessa. I trusted you." Cade frowned.

"To what? Never have fun, take a risk, be a normal teenager, like you?" Tessa asked, rolling her eyes at Cade.

"I am your father, okay? And I have been busting my ass to take care of you." Cade deadpanned.

"Is that what you were doing when you brought home the truck? All you had to do was report it, and now Lucas is dead and my life is over. Thank you." Tessa sighed in frustration, beginning to walk out. "You've taken real good care of me."

\/ Scene Swap \/

Optimus was in his alt mode, and it was the morning.

They were at 'Hole N' The Rock' after having packed up a couple things, Cade and Shane were sat on a cliff with Cade controlling the government drone.

Tessa was in the truck, her arms on the door that Optimus held open for her.

"This is not easy." Cade said.

"You know, you don't suck at everything, dad." Tessa deadpanned.

Cade managed to get the drone there and putting the card into the slot.

Bingo.

He had managed to work one of his inventions correctly without fail, so it was quite the promising moment to him.

\/ Time Skip \/

The police pulled up, everyone raising their hands as they stepped out with guns, the three of them watching this happen.

Cade got up and sighed.

It had worked, and now they knew that they had lived and that they were still coming.

Now, it was time to meet the autobots and Y/n, in one of the many deserts where they had been hiding for a few years.

Optimus was rather eager to see his loved one.

He missed them dearly.

He hoped they were still alive and well.