Act 1 Scene 2

(At the principal's office)

Principal: Vida, can you tell me what you were doing outside your class while your classmates were learning?
Vida: I was.....
Teacher: (cuts in) I think there's more to this than we can see, principal.
Principal: Well I see misbehaviour and if you can't correct your students, I guess I might have to do it for you, miss Valentine. (To Vida) Go on Vida.
Vida: I... I.... I was eating outside the class. (Tears flowing down her cheeks)
Principal: Now did you hear that miss Valentine? As her teacher, what were doing when this happened?
Teacher: Principal, I assure you that she's just covering up for someone. Vida is not that kind of person.
Principal: Miss Valentine, I have heard what I needed to hear. I want her parents here tomorrow morning. You may leave.

(Outside the principal's office)

Teacher: (squats to talk to Vida) Vida, if there's anything you're keeping from me, you can tell me now. Am sure you don't want your parents here tomorrow.
Vida: (Nods a no)
Teacher: Well then, tell me what happened?
Vida: I... I can't tell you.
Teacher: (sighs) Okay. Can you at least tell me if the person who set you up is a friend of Riley?
Vida: (nods a yes)
Teacher: Okay. Don't worry. Go to class now. (Vida leaves) (the teacher enters the principal's office)
Principal: Is there anything else, miss Valentine?
Teacher: Yes, there is something. I don't believe Vida would do such.
Principal: We already ended our discussion on this topic, miss Valentine.
Teacher: Principal I know something's not right. I am their teacher, so I know my students best and I know that ever since Vida got here, she has been of good behaviour. It was only recently after she had a fight with her sister Bella that all these started happening and from what I know, Bella is usually the naughty one.
Principal: Then if Bella was so naughty, why wasn't she reported?
Teacher: Because I thought I could correct her.
Principal: Well, we now see how well that worked out for you and now Vida is following in her sister's footsteps.
Teacher: I refuse to believe that. Vida is innocent of the accusations you are putting on her.
Principal: They aren't mere accusations, miss Valentine. She was caught in the act.
Teacher: (angry) She was set-up!
Principal: (angry) Miss Valentine! Whether or not Vida did it will be concluded tomorrow morning. Now, I expect you'll call their parents. And I want both Bella and Vida present. Thank you for the information by the way. Without you, I wouldn't know you have naughty students. You may leave.
Teacher: But...
Principal: (cuts in) Please leave, miss Valentine. (The teacher leaves)

(At home)

Macy: So, how was school today?
Bella: It was fine.
Macy: Vida?
Vida: (in a low tone) It was fine.
George: Did you give your teacher the assignment?
Bella: Yes father. I got everything correct.
George:(smiles) That's good. My daughter is so smart.
(Macy serves the table)
Macy: Okay.., Love, please pray for us.
(He prays and they start to eat)
George: So, did anything happen at school?
Bella: Yes! Father, you wouldn't believe what one of my classmates brought for lunch.
George: What?
Bella: (Telling her father everything when Macy notices that Vida isn't eating)
Macy: Vida, why aren't you eating?
Vida: (silent)
George: You've been silent the whole time too. What's wrong?
Bella: Father, mother. I think Vida has something to tell you.
Macy: Why? What's the problem? Is everything okay Vida?
Vida: (in a low tone) I... I..
Bella: (cuts in) I'll tell you what happened. The principal caught Vida eating fish and bread outside the class before break.
George: What?
Macy: Fish and bread? Is that true Vida?
Bella: And now because of Vida, we were both asked to bring our parents to school tomorrow.
Macy: Vida, why aren't you saying anything?
Vida: (starts crying) Am sorry mother.
George: Vida, where did you get the money for rush and bread, because I know your mother didn't pack that for you?
Vida: (still crying) I... I..
George: I asked you a question Vida and I'm still waiting for your answer.(Getting angry)
Vida:  (Crying softly) My friend gave me the money.
Macy: Which friend?
Vida: Jane.
Macy: Jane?
Vida: But it wasn't Jane's fault. I begged her to give me the money.
George: (gets angry) What! (Stands up and so do Macy and Vida) Haven't I told you two countless times not to beg anyone for anything? (Going closer to Vida and Vida hides behind her mother, crying)
Macy: My love,you need to calm down.
George: Calm down? I work hard everyday trying to provide for this family so that we don't end begging and now look at what your daughter is doing. Couldn't you wait till break just like your sister? Tell me, am I starving you at home, huh?
Vida: (crying)
Macy: My love....
George: (cuts in) Answer me! (Draws Vida from her mother by her hand) Didn't I tell you not to ask anyone for anything? Tell me, do I not feed you? Am I torturing you?
Vida: (nods a no while crying)
George: (shouting) Then why do you want to embarrass this family? Was this how I trained you?
Macy: George!
George: Do you want to become a beggar, huh? Do you?
Vida: (crying) No.
Macy: George!
George: Are you not satisfied? Do you want to live on the streets like the rest?
Vida: (crying)
George: Answer me!
Macy: (drags him from Vida by his arm) George, that's enough!
Vida: (crying) I'm sorry father.
Macy: The both of you, upstairs. (They leave) (to George) What is wrong with you?
George: What is wrong with me? What is wrong with your daughter?
Macy: Tell me, are you blind or are you just pretending to be blind? Can't you see she's terrified?
George: Oh, so now it's a bad thing for me to correct her as her father.
Macy: That's not what am saying. Why are you so mad? She's just a child.
George: Why shouldn't I be mad? Isn't it something to be mad about? She's only a child and she's already so disobedient!
Macy: George, you need to calm down!
George: Tell me, why are you always defending Vida? I'm certain that if Bella was in her shoes, you would yell at her even much worse than I did.
Macy: I am not defending Vida. All am saying is, you need to calm down.
George: I don't need to calm down, okay? (They keep arguing)

(Upstairs, in the girls room)

Bella: See what you did? Father and mother are fighting because of you.
Vida: (crying softly)
Bella: Would you stop crying? It's really annoying!
Vida: (still crying)
Bella: Stop it now or else!
Vida: (still crying)
Bella: Vida, stop crying! I need silence!
Vida: (still crying)
Bella: Urgh! So annoying! (Turns to her bed when her leg hits the table causing a family photo to fall on her leg and the broken glass cuts her deeply on her toe) (Bella screams in pain)